+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But does make up and the extent to which it is used, stem from the world we are part of to begin with?
    Well, yes of course. I'd be ignorant to say it wasn't. But at the same time we keep putting so much focus on girls (and women) on the way they look. And that includes wearing too much make up, not enough, none at all, looking better with make up, looking better without. No wonder there IS so much insecurity! And it is almost ALWAYS towards girls and women. In articles, on the news, radio, forums, everywhere.

This girl might just be doing this as a hobby and then doing everyday kid things every other time, we don't know. It could be fun experimenting. Would I be okay with my daughter doing it? No...because of how other people would likely make her feel.

I would not be okay with my daughter thinking that she needed to improve her appearance. But enjoying make up does not automatically mean that a girl or woman doesn't like herself how she is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Asking for trouble in a few more years when she is a teenager

Thanks
    Reviews
    @delirium - I do partly agree with what you said, but at the same time I feel like I need to challenge it because we are so quick to criticize what girls and women do. One part of me thinks she IS too young for that stuff...the other part of me wonders if by critisizing her love of make up (because it is just make up...or is it??)...am I perpetuating the thing I'm trying to fight against.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Asking for trouble in a few more years when she is a teenager
    Why is this asking for trouble when she is a teenager? I would say considering she is experimenting with it now, it will be less of an issue when she is a teenager.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

kim85  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like kids wearing makeup, not a good look. I would teach my children they don't need makeup to look nice. They can decide that for themselves when they are an appropriate age, until then they don't need to be aware of makeup.

The YouTube channel and knowing how to apply the makeup isn't cool in my opinion.

Get her picking up a paint brush instead of a make up brush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    @delirium - I do partly agree with what you said, but at the same time I feel like I need to challenge it because we are so quick to criticize what girls and women do. One part of me thinks she IS too young for that stuff...the other part of me wonders if by critisizing her love of make up (because it is just make up...or is it??)...am I perpetuating the thing I'm trying to fight against.
    Sure, I get where you are coming from and it's a valid point. For me it's the function of the make up. Is it purely artistic or is it to improve appearance/look pretty? It is also the style of the make up. Who here can honestly say they apply make up solely for art? I wear foundation bc I hate my freckles. I wear eye liner, mascara and lip gloss to accentuate features I like to make me more socially attractive.

The false eye lashes and mascara are also 'adultafying' a 6 year old. For me it's more complex than a 6 year old wearing make up. It's the fact it's an very adult, sexual style. It's the fact she clearly has been coached, either by lots of youtube itself or someone in IRL. It's how the video is presented.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (10-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went and watched her actual videos on YouTube there's so much hate and negativity in the comments. What kind of parent would expose their child to the cruel world of social media judgement!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeharry For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    Why is this asking for trouble when she is a teenager? I would say considering she is experimenting with it now, it will be less of an issue when she is a teenager.
    The way some generations are today kids are being made to grow up to fast to soon. Let them be kids there is nothing wrong with it at all. What happens when this little girl goes to high school and starts attracting the "wrong" attention from boys that are a lot older. The way some girls dress and act today it's like they are already adults when they are only 10/11/12 years of age. I work in retail fulltime (well I'm on maternity leave now for 12 months) and the way you see some girls come into the shop I work at is by all means not suitable for their ages. It may be fashionable for older girls but not he younger ones to dress like that at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    People generally think wearing make-up = must have low self esteem or it will damage self esteem. Make up is fun. It's an art form. Maybe for a lot of people it is an insecurity thing, but for many, its not.

This little girl has found a way to express herself. She's found a love in make up. I'd be more concerned with trolls making her feel ugly than the stuff she puts on her face that she washes off every time. I would worry about the ingredients in the products she's using, but if this is what she loves to do, good on her.

I remember going into the bathroom and finding my mums stash of lipsticks and being intrigued by it. Never did it make me feel like I needed to wear it because I wasn't good enough as I was.

It ain't the make up that makes us insecure, it's the world we're a part of.
    I just wish this little girl was encourage to express herself in a different way.

Maybe a 6 year old giving make up tutorials in itself isn't *that* bad (that's debateable!), however combine it with the boys and girls toy aisles, Uncle bob commenting the boy next door 'throws like a girl,' the dudes mag at eye level in coles with the bikini clad chick on her knees staring seductively into the camera, the occasional school which only allows girls to wear skirts (and not pants) in winter ....and .... Well it all contributes to a society where women are treated as objects and don't have the same opportunities as men.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (10-06-2016),waterlily  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    The way some generations are today kids are being made to grow up to fast to soon. Let them be kids there is nothing wrong with it at all. What happens when this little girl goes to high school and starts attracting the "wrong" attention from boys that are a lot older. The way some girls dress and act today it's like they are already adults when they are only 10/11/12 years of age. I work in retail fulltime (well I'm on maternity leave now for 12 months) and the way you see some girls come into the shop I work at is by all means not suitable for their ages. It may be fashionable for older girls but not he younger ones to dress like that at all
    I see where you are coming from. I was just curious as I have a DD12 who is off to high school next year.

I think we need to be working on the boys giving the 'wrong' attention, rather than put all the responsibility on the girls to appear 'appropriate'. Although this is another discussion entirely.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-06-2016),cheeeeesecake  (10-06-2016),gingermillie  (10-06-2016),rusty22  (11-06-2016),waterlily  (15-06-2016)