+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nine weeks between Ob appointments normal?

Miscarriage last year. First 'actual' pregnancy. Saw my Ob for the first and only time so far at 10 weeks, got my Harmony results two days ago (midwife over the phone) and going for my 12-week scan tomorrow.

BUT, when I saw my Ob she said not to make another appointment with her until 19 weeks when she gets back from leave and after I have had my second scan. I know there are other obs who cover for her when she's on leave it but she didn't tell me to see anyone else. It just seems like a long time to wait for my second visit, especially at this time when I have had blood tests and will have the scan tomorrow. I'm also on the older side so would have thought I would be seen more often than that.

What are other people's experiences? Aren't there other tests I need between now and then as well?
    Last edited by mima38; 10-06-2016 at 03:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That does sound like a long wait. Normally you would have one appointment in between I think (sorry I can't remember exactly), to discuss your results from NT/harmony etc. And they would give you a referral for your 20 week morphology scan - your next appointment after that etc.

But generally there are no tests between 12-19 weeks so you aren't missing anything. But I would want to get my results ASAP and have the opportunity to discuss them before 19 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Too long - said as an older pregnant mum. I see my OB every 3 weeks with a midwife appointment in between.

I would be asking for an appointment with a colleague to discuss the harmony and NT results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do they think you are shared care maybe? My appointments were 13weeks 20weeks 28weeks but i saw my gp twice between each of these appointments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Appointments are generally once per month from the second trimester, every two weeks from about seven/eight months then every week until birth, if low risk. Not sure on your personal situation, but if there are no underlying health issues then there really isn't generally a need to have lots of appointments until later on. However, I would think a follow up appointment regarding your 12 week scan and blood results would be standard, so perhaps give the midwife a call and query? They are there to help!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Alexxie  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on shared care with my GP and I have to see my GP every 4-6 weeks unless it coincides with midwife or OB visit. I would expect going exclusively through the hospital would be similar appointments. I got my NT and screening results over the one cause it was all normal. I'm 16w now and my appointments are all booked in and look like this:
    5w first GP visit
    8w scan at hospital
    9w GP visit
    12w scan
    15w midwife visit
    20w scan
    21w GP
    28w OB and Glucose Tolerance Test
    36w OB

Will probably also see my GP a few times in between OB visits but need to ask her how often. Heads up on 20w scan, I called a month before and couldn't get in before almost 22w so I'm going to a private clinic. So get your referral asap and call to book in now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

Alexxie  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never had 9 weeks between appointments, that seems very long to me. I went private so I had more regular monitoring and a scan at least once a month (I had a mmc and needed the extra reassurance).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had two months between appointments. If results came back that they needed to discuss with me they'd ring me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to believa For This Useful Post:

Alexxie  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That seems like too long.

My ob books all appointments in at the first appointment (even the ones with her fill in when she's on leave)

I have the following

8+4
    12 (after NT scan)
    20 (after morph scan)

Thanks
    Reviews
    9 weeks seems like a very long time. I saw a private ob for my pregnancy. The visits were every 4 weeks until 32 weeks then at 34 and 36 weeks, then once a week until 40 weeks.
    My ob scanned me every visit also and didn't charge me for it. TTC for 1 year then laparoscopy for severe endometriosis...so I wanted more regular check-ups and scans to stay reassured.