+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Half of the world live in small spaces and it's not a drama. I would love to downgrade our home. I grew up in Europe so everyone pretty much lives in units unless you live on a farm. The whole big house thing is a pretty new invention in the west. Living small is a huge trend right now because people are getting fed up with mortgages and consumerism. I see no issue with a 2 bedroom place. One room for your child and one for you and hubby. A kitchen, bathroom and living room. There is no reason to have more. I live in a 4 bedroom 2 bath house and I hate it. I grew up in small spaces and it was great, but DH refuses to sell (huge issue for us right now).
    Last edited by Janesmum123; 10-06-2016 at 12:54.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-06-2016),ertgirl  (14-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Half of the world live in small spaces and it's not a drama. I would love to downgrade our home. I grew up in Europe so everyone pretty much lives in units unless you live on a farm. The whole big house think is a pretty new invention in the west. Living small is a huge trend right now because people are getting fed up with mortgages and consumerism. I see no issue with a 2 bedroom place. One room for your child and one for you and hubby. A kitchen, bathroom and living room. There is no reason to have more. I live in a 4 bedroom 2 bath house and I hate it. I grew up in small spaces and it was great, but DH refuses to sell (huge issue for us right now).
    This. DH's extended family all live in France. When a few of them came to visit before we had kids and we lived in a town house they were astounded at the space we had. We live in a 3 bedroom house and I have moments of wanting to downsize to an apartment. I find the more space, the more stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Instead of a granny flat what about an upstairs extension? It would be bigger and give you more space - For $170k I also think that would add more value to the home than a granny flat taking up most of the yard ( it will probably cost a little more depending on what you did )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (14-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I was in your situation id do it. Sounds like you have done your research and it's the best option for your family to get a little privacy back into your life. And yes I could live in that space I'm not a big fan of big houses it seriously seems cozy and perfect for a family of 3

7. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (14-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a perfect solution to wanting your own privacy, being close to family and saving some money. I live part of the year overseas in a 2 bed apartment with a toddler and part of the time in a 4 bed house in oz. whilst in the 2 bed apartment I spend so much less time cleaning and there is a lot less clutter as you don't have the room for lots of stuff. Less time cleaning and so much more time to be enjoying life. Go for it!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (14-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you had a real estate broker in to properly assess the property and its market value with and with out the addition ? Like I said previously what if somethings happens to MIL and she has to go to a home for her health reasons as your unable to care for her 24/7. What happens if the property needs to be sold and split between other siblings would you get a higher portion because you've added value to the property. These would be my biggest concerns, spending a lot of money but are you going to re-coup that debt if something major happens. If you do go ahead with it is be involving lawyers aswell and get everything in writing about valuations and how much your investing into the property. Or another scenario is to add another wing onto the actual property itself with a seperate entrance to make it more appealing to future buyers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes do it. It's a perfect solution

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can you build the granny flat and then do a swircheroonie? Have mil live in the granny flat?

(Not sure why you would have a single adult live in a house and then shove a family into a granny flat?)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd proceed with caution based on previous posters comments but also wanted to throw into the mix the possibility of separation/divorce. I know it's not nice to think about but that could really stuff you financially if you're not careful and you could end up with huge debt from your DH + nowhere to live. Personally I think you'd be better off buying or renting somewhere else even just for another year or two and you can always revisit the idea of living with mil again if she needs you in future?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a 92sqm (certainly bigger but still a small house in comparison to many) single story townhouse and are about to have our first baby.. It is certainly liveable with storage being the only issue, however if you were able to store belongings in your MILs house it would help with reducing clutter. What is nice is a smaller place is quick and easy to clean! Really and truly with only a couple and a small child you don't really need heaps of space if you can reduce clutter - but that's because clutter drives me mad, it may not bother your family