+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Non Catholic at Catholic schools (primary)

Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    What depends on that?? We are not involved in any church activities and I hope we would not be expected to be. I understand the child would have RE and attend the church for school mass etc but I would not want to have to attend outside of this. I have been told by others that that is not required.
    What I mean is if a lot of the parents are really involved in the church or parish then you might feel a bit left out. It certainly wouldn't be expected but I think your child might feel left out when the class is doing their reconciliation, first communion and confirmation and your child isn't.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    What depends on that?? We are not involved in any church activities and I hope we would not be expected to be. I understand the child would have RE and attend the church for school mass etc but I would not want to have to attend outside of this. I have been told by others that that is not required.
    For me, no matter where I live, my kids will go to a catholic school - so bear that in mind with what I'm about to say.

We moved interstate at the end of last year. The school we left was probably 50-50 ratio on Catholics/non Cath. They did churchy stuff but you weren't expected to attend on weekends or raise money for the church parish. It was a wonderful school - great community and lovely sense of school spirit. Happy kids and teachers everywhere.

Our new school is great academically, but even as a catholic, some policies grind my gears. We had to provide a family photo because 'the priest will look out for you in church In the weekends to make sure you attend'! What the????? Firstly, I've gone to church there for years and years and the priest would still not recognise me in the street, secondly - what a dumb thing to say - it was only the school secretary who comes up with that crap but she was a total turn off. So, depending on the school you may get some silly person say silly stuff like that.

Try to look past it, once you're in, your in.

If the kids who attend are happy and the parents are happy, then you know you're onto a winner.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughters attend a catholic school. We are catholic bit there are many at the school who aren't.

In catholic schools religion is a subject taught alongside maths, english, science etc so as long as you are cool with that.

My DD1 just had her first communion, in our area that is now parish based not done through the school. There were a few from her class that did it alongside her but many who didnt and that many included catholic & non catholic children.

As long as you are supportive of the school environment as a catholic school i dont see that you should have a problem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies. From asking around it appears that the ratio of catholic to non catholic children in catholic education is around 40/60% of coarse that would vary in individual schools. The teachers that gave the talk on the school I'm considering were adamant that there was no need to be catholic to attend there so I assume it is quite ok. I'll be contacting the school to get more in depth info this week so will update for those interested.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I am not catholic (though my DH is) and my DD attends a catholic primary school.

I did find it a little confronting the amount of religion taught and how it is ingrained in everything they teach. Not just a religion class along with maths and english but its included in every day in every lesson.

It has been very good for her though - so I cant complain My point is though, that I am not sure how comfortable I would be if we were a non-catholic family.

Its a hard one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a catholic school and my family are not catholic. It was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was Catholic school educated and never had an issue even though we were a non-religious family. We had to attend mass weekly and did RE but the religious side was never force fed to us. In my circle of friends, 1 was of Anglican belief, the rest were non religious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I am not catholic (though my DH is) and my DD attends a catholic primary school.

I did find it a little confronting the amount of religion taught and how it is ingrained in everything they teach. Not just a religion class along with maths and english but its included in every day in every lesson.

It has been very good for her though - so I cant complain My point is though, that I am not sure how comfortable I would be if we were a non-catholic family.

Its a hard one.
    I agree with this, my DS1 goes to a catholic school, my DH and I are both Catholic and grew up going to catholic schools, but I have found at DS1's school it is all a bit over the top, even for me! Although it probably varies a bit school to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post

Its a hard one.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    I agree with this, my DS1 goes to a catholic school, my DH and I are both Catholic and grew up going to catholic schools, but I have found at DS1's school it is all a bit over the top, even for me! Although it probably varies a bit school to school.
    Thank you for this. Will definitely something I will be asking about. I don't have a problem with prayers/mass/RE but I not sure I want religion ingrained in every lesson. As stated it probably depends on the individual school.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    for sure

I do know of other schools that are not as full on - are more just 'values based' and include religion as a seperate class.

Depends entirely on the school.

Best wishes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (14-06-2016)