+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Non Catholic at Catholic schools (primary)

I'm currently looking at schools in my areas for DS to start Kinder (NSW) next year and I am impressed by the local Catholic primary school. Not being Catholic myself and only ever having attended public school and my older son also attended public I wondering what to expect if I enroll my non Catholic child. I understand and accept that religion will be taught along with prayers and mass. Just wondering how others find Catholic education for their non Catholic family?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be interested to know this too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it depends on how much the parents are involved in the local church/parish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

When I was in a Catholic primary school 20 years ago, there were plenty of non-Catholic kids. Like you, they were impressed by the quality of education. I think these days with even less people practicing organized religion, there would be plenty of non-Catholic kids in the school. The only segregation / difference was when we went to church and took communion, the non-Catholic kids would either stay seated or could choose to go get a blessing from the priest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

We had Muslims, Buddhists etc at our catholic school growing up.

They were expected to go to mass but they weren't forced to participate in prayers etc. They stayed till year 12 so I guess their parents were happy with the arrangement??

As for 'religion' class, it's very basic anyway. The Muslim girl did practice Ramadan and there was never any issue with it. As a catholic I don't remember her ever being picked on.

My kids attend a catholic school now with non Catholics and I have a work colleague who is an atheist and her child attends a Christian school.

The work colleague has no issue with it, she is more than happy with what they do/don't do.

I think it depends on what your stance is on it. If you're quite clearly offended by 'bible Bashers' you're probably going to hate it. If you are sending your kids because you believe the school is a good one and better than the other options available to you, I think it's fine.

I've never had my kids tell me that 'hell exists' etc etc. It's more along the lines of 'God is love and tolerance'.

I hope that helps OP.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (09-06-2016),WiseOldOwl  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our children currently go to a Catholic school, as the Public schools are not an option for us, given the area we live. We are a combination Anglican/Presbyterian household.

We have been fine with what has been taught. If the children come home with questions or statements, we balance them out with our views. If there is a thing at school regarding baptism for example, we simply let the teacher know, they aren't baptised. They don't miss out on much. They still attend Church and can participate on some activities with it (I.e. run parts of it, choir).

We also find that because it is a Catholic school, they have higher standards of expected behaviour which the children uphold.

We are looking at moving soon and are looking at sending them to a Public school

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly137 For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think it depends on how much the parents are involved in the local church/parish.
    What depends on that?? We are not involved in any church activities and I hope we would not be expected to be. I understand the child would have RE and attend the church for school mass etc but I would not want to have to attend outside of this. I have been told by others that that is not required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd attends a catholic school and we are not catholic. I chose the school due to size and felt it was a better option than thw public school that was in our zone at the time.
    Dd comes home and asks a few questions about God and we will attend the mothers day/fathers day liturgy as thats what dd wants. But apart from that it seems like every other school.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was Catholic at a Catholic school, and the non-Catholics stood out like a sore thumb.
    Don't know what it's like these days though; like PP said, there are less people in organised religion now, so maybe they're a bit more accepting of it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know I'm SA at the catholic schools you children need to be baptised into the church and some schools even want a letter from your church minister stating you go there regularly to attend.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-06-2016)