+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    The ageing part doesn't bother me at all. I think it's mostly that my DH doesn't make any effort that bothers me the most. I go to such effort for him, whereas I'm in the "too hard" basket.
    That does make it hard. I had to have a conversation with my DH about that sort of thing. He's super romantic and loves doing things for me any normal day, but his family really don't bother to celebrate birthdays, Christmas etc. I mean, honestly, one year his mum sent him a large package on his birthday and he actually got quite excited. Turned out she'd sent him his shoes he'd left at their house when he visited last. I think the fact that his family don't make a fuss has made him not get too excited about special occasions, as a way to protect himself from disappointment.

My family are HUGE on birthday celebrations. We celebrate for a whole week! My Dad has always made a big deal of getting really thoughtful presents for my mum and making the day super special. So, when I realised DH wasn't quite the same, I got really upset. DH really likes the way we get excited about our birthdays in my family and he's started getting excited about his now that people actually make a big deal of it....but he still has to be prompted and pushed a bit to remember to get presents for me in advance etc. He is still in training!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm fine about getting older just hate the day in general. DH just never seems to get his act together on the day so I'm always let down especially when I've been all out for his birthday 2 days prior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my dh used to go to quite a bit of effort...now I get a card

for my 30th he took me away to tassie and we stayed in 5 star places, are gorgeous food, plenty of fancy wine etc. last year I didn't even get a cupcake

I should prob drop hints but then I know he's good at this stuff so I figure it's just the natural evolution of a relationship. I've also drilled into him how I hate birthdays, never like to make a big deal etc. I still want to be spoiled by him though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now this thread is making me really sad/annoyed .

DH has never really gone to much effort. He is very sweet, very caring.. just not very resourceful for anything more than a bunch of flowers or a card. My Mum and Dad were exactly the opposite, less caring (day to day) more surprise, which is probably why I feel so disjointed for my birthdays with DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get sad about my birthdays. I know it's selfish but I make such a fuss for DH and he never does anything for mine. I end up buying myself something. It's not about the gifts but it would be nice to be made a fuss over like I do for him and the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I quite like my birthday as my DH generally goes out of his way to make it lovely and usually involved a nice present from him, a few from the kids and a big cooked brekky. I love that he makes it the one special day for me. Doesn't really bother me getting older, not much I can do about it ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stretch my birthday out over a week - The Festival of Blossom, if you will. I treat myself to something nice every day, and then finish up with a dinner with family and friends on the last day.

I love my birthday, and the more presents the better

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (09-06-2016),MrsMiller  (10-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My birthday is in a few weeks and I don't have time to care about it this year. I used to look forward to my birthday and always got let down so now I'm just indifferent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like my birthday. Usually we have a small family get together and a bottle of bubbly. Dh and i arent big on presents. I dont like them really. Although gor my 40th dh got me a bottle of Chanel i keep in my handbag. That was special. I havent had a party or get together with friends for years. I should try this year. I am into my 40's and still improving!! The aging part doesnt cross my mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I love birthdays!!, especially mine 😂 I always get spoilt too. Though my next birthday I'll be 30. I don't want to be 30