+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The ageing part doesn't bother me at all. I think it's mostly that my DH doesn't make any effort that bothers me the most. I go to such effort for him, whereas I'm in the "too hard" basket.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    The ageing part doesn't bother me at all. I think it's mostly that my DH doesn't make any effort that bothers me the most. I go to such effort for him, whereas I'm in the "too hard" basket.
    That is the part i miss most. Being felt like I am special or just recognised.
    Now dd is getting older and loves birthdays it is becoming fun again because if it was left up to dh it would be forgotten.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I stopped having a birthday when DS1 was born 2 days after it. Every year since it's all about him, not me! I haven't had a birthday celebration in 7 years. (Ironically dS2 was born on DHs bday so he will suffer the same fate lol).

The things that make me happy now are getting a hand drawn card from my 4 yr old and maybe a few hours on my own for a facial and peace & quiet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love birthdays! I love making a fuss over them. For mine - I acknowledge it. Have not had anything overly special recently (had a 3 week old this year for my birthday - that was enough excitement for me).

Last year I asked for a family weekend away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before my kids were born, I was never one to make a fuss of my birthday, and to be honest, felt a touch of depression over it each year.

But now that I have the littlies, aged 3 & 5, they absolutely love to celebrate anybody's birthday so I can't help but be excited with them. They always whip hubby up into a frenzy too about spoiling me, and of course I do likewise for all of them. Now I enjoy my birthday every year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel pretty indifferent about my birthday now I'm an adult. I don't feel a great need to celebrate it, but don't mind growing older either. I've had a couple of friends die young, so really do feel it's a privilege to get to be another year older.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you feel about your birthday?

By the time my birthday hits everybody is really over celebrating, 4 birthdays in a row first being my ds and last being me, my mum and FIL are in between. It doesn't help that my bday falls on Anzac Day and since meeting DH we have gone to the dawn service every year (except the year ds was born as I was still in hospital) no sleep in and now with kids, by the time midday hits everyone is tired and grumpy and we don't want to do anything. DH and the kids do try and make an effort (kids love birthdays) but we are all so over birthdays that it usually ends with a quick easy dinner and an early night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love birthdays.... well I did. But last year I was on my own all day while hubby was at work, and I was in a new area so had no friends nearby (or at least friends that I thought should enjoy celebrating a bit), and I was looking after a teething baby who didn't sleep. My mum did come for a visit a week after, but because she does the accounts for a small company and they had all of the EoFY stuff, she couldn't make it for my actual birthday.

This year - turning 30 (by the end of the month!). Another new area. I know one person well enough to maybe have a bbq and invite her and her family. DH was supposed to be working 10 am til 9 pm (he just asked for and got approved for an RDO), and I'll be leaving DS at daycare (which he apparently hates). None of my family are bothering to come up even though they said they would. So this year, not feeling it.
    I was going to book a boudoir photoshoot which I was actually getting excited about, but DH has gone ans spent a ridiculous amount of money on a present (he cleaned out his wallet and left the receipts on the table, and I was cleaning), so that's on the backburner now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you feel about your birthday?

I love birthdays, they were always a big deal in my house growing up. I have continued the excitement about birthdays now in my family. I think they're important because it's the one day in the year which is all about you (though I know some mums on here don't get that 😔). Hubby's family celebrate birthdays but doesn't make a big deal of them, like his parents were away for his 21st. My mum was horrified and we had everyone over at mum and dads for dinner to celebrate. Whereas I planned my wedding and honeymoon around the birthdays to make sure it wouldn't clash with anyone's!

ETA the year before last, everyone at work forgot my birthday. Usually I get gifts from a couple of colleagues and go out for lunch. I was devastated and sat in my car alone and cried and ate mcdonalds for lunch. My family had planned to celebrate my bday the following weekend but when I told mum i'd been forgotten at work, she pulled the family together that night and we had cake. I think I was so crushed because birthdays are so important to me!
    Last edited by JR03; 09-06-2016 at 12:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    largely indifferent. I definitely don't like a big fuss made. happy to do something low key like go out for dinner with dh.