+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Distance Education and working parents

Hi All,

We are looking at doing Distance Education through Groves or Faith (we are in Brisbane) for my eldest (High School) son next year as he is having issues with his anxiety at school. This is something we have thought about doing for few years now but we are not sure how we would manage it.

DH is a shift worker and home a lot during the day and I will be returning to my part-time job early next year after Maternity Leave. I work 3 days per week in School Hours. I really don't want to leave my job as I enjoy working there but don't want the issues with my Son to continue. Do you think it would be acceptable (from a Distance Ed perspective )if he was home possibly 1 day per week for 6 hours. It would not be anymore than the 1 day due to our work schedules (except every 8 weeks there would be two days in a row but we can organize for him to go to his Grandparents on that Day).

opinions welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How old is your DS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's 13

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will be 14 next year when we would want to start this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    How does your DS's anxiety affect him? Does it affect him at home? Or just in public? How mature is he? Any other issues that may cause concern?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see a problem with it, especially since you say your son has anxiety.
    Your husband will be home anyway and your son is a teen so home alone (although his dad will be there anyway) would be ok. Of course it depends on the child.
    My kids are homeschooled, but two go to a co-op twice a week (son might be going next year, not sure yet).. I'm not working now but before I had my youngest I was working a few days as a cleaner and one night a week at an RSL club. I'm looking at getting a casual/part time job myself soon too