+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have it, I question the value ($175 a fortnight) but we have got back more than we have contributed ( so putting money away won't help us); we have very good dental ( over 80% covered)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Secondly, i don't think most people really get value out of it. In a lot of cases, i think people would be better to put the money they would have otherwise paid into a savings account, if they can, and draw on that when needed to pay for medical things. I think most people would end up ahead if they did this, particularly given that there's often a gap and limits on cover (eg PHI only covering $500 of a $10,000 dental bill, like a PP said).

Thirdly, the public system in Australia is good. If we needed something done sooner than the public system would offer, we'd pay out of savings (I realise not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to do this).

That approach is fine for things that can have a firm quote eg dental, optometry, physio. Or even medical tests that require sedation and can be conducted in a private facility eg colonoscopy. However I have heard of people being turned back for surgery in a private hospital when they do not have private health insurance even if they have the cash to cover the quoted costs of the operation. Reason being they may have the cash to cover the costs of a successful operation but not hundreds and thousands of dollars to cover intensive care if something was to go terribly wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post

In any case I still strongly believe that if you can afford it, you should pay it and leave the public system for those that can't (else the whole system will eventually crack).
    I can see that this sort of thinking comes from a really good place. I wonder though...

Take another example. Does it follow that people who can afford private transport should leave public transport to people who can't afford it? In my view, there are other benefits to everyone that can taking public transport instead of driving their own cars.

Public funding for things isn't a cup of sugar - it should increase as need and usage increases. If fewer people use public transport (and public health) less funding is allocated and the service gets sh!ttier - it's not that the people left using it get a gold plated service because other people haven't used it. The more people use public health and public transport, the more incentive to properly fund and service it, the better for everyone.

Well, that's the dream, anyway ☺

Ideologically, I'd prefer not to encourage a two tier health system of have and have nots (though see my note re hypocrisy above...)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-06-2016),delirium  (11-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-06-2016),Stretched  (11-06-2016),WaitRose  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me with multiple chronic illnesses we can't be w/out PHI. We can't afford it but I would live a miserable existence on public waiting lists and be hospitalised a bucket load more without it I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=JustJaq;8500410

We are also philosophically and politically committed to supporting public health. Some years we've gone over the Medicare Levy Surcharge threshold, and decided that we'd prefer to pay this than get PHI, as paying the surcharge further supports the public system. We think that your income shouldn't impact on the healthcare you get (though i recognise some hypocrisy here in the fact that if we were in a position of needing something done that the public system couldn't provide, we'd probably pay for it... but there you go - there's principles, and then there's doing what you can to make sure your family is well ☺ )

As to the[/QUOTE]

This is us. We pay the levy some years and will this year. I'm happy to support Medicare.

I find PHI a total rip off, not only is it ridiculously expensive, but when you do use it you seem to be thousands out of pocket anyway, or the insurance covers such a small portion of the bill to be hardly worth it.

I've been completely put off it and won't ever get it again, I cancelled it about 10 years ago.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Who has NO private health insurance?

We have top hospital but no extras , I've only ever used it to have DS in a private hospital, it's like most of our other insurances ( life, car, business, house etc) we hate paying it as hopefully we will never need to make a claim but it's the just in case risk that makes us keep paying it - it's good to hear most people have had great experiences with our public system as usually in the media all you hear is how bad it is !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    I can see that this sort of thinking comes from a really good place. I wonder though...

Take another example. Does it follow that people who can afford private transport should leave public transport to people who can't afford it? In my view, there are other benefits to everyone that can taking public transport instead of driving their own cars.

Public funding for things isn't a cup of sugar - it should increase as need and usage increases. If fewer people use public transport (and public health) less funding is allocated and the service gets sh!ttier - it's not that the people left using it get a gold plated service because other people haven't used it. The more people use public health and public transport, the more incentive to properly fund and service it, the better for everyone.

Well, that's the dream, anyway ☺

Ideologically, I'd prefer not to encourage a two tier health system of have and have nots (though see my note re hypocrisy above...)
    Unfortunately public funding is a cup of sugar. The only way to grow it is to pay more tax or move money from one place to another. Therefore where we can lighten the load we should. The burden on health is just going to grow and grow with our aging population.

While most people have mentioned emergencies here (which is understandable due to the likely demographics of bub hub), chronic health issues are the biggest drain.

I'm not sure public transport and public health are comparable. Private transport actually costs the government lots more than public transport, but politically governments seem more keen on spending on roads and motorways rather than buses and trains.

While I understand the concern about a two tiered system, the truth is going private rather than public frees up a spot for the next person faster rather than takes money away.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (11-06-2016),Janesmum123  (11-06-2016),maternidade  (11-06-2016),rosey82  (11-06-2016),smallpotatoes  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went in and cancelled my hospital cover today and took out extras for the whole family. We've spent almost $20k over 4 years on PHI plus private obgyn and ivf. With those expenses we have neglected our oral health and done without physio etc. so we are going to get everything we can from our extras now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it takes years and years of training and education to work in medicine. If there was a sudden increase in demand for public transport the local authorities could have the quota filled in weeks. If there was a sudden increase in the need for our hospital system there simply isn't the man power.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who has NO private health insurance?

Does anyone actually realise that if u go to a public hosp and have private cover they bill ur private and pay ur excess? They don't tell u and u get no improved service, still get trainees, wait lists etc....some hosp staff refuse to trick people into signing the forms which reveal the details to allow this to happen.... This is increasing our phi costs and yet most don't know the pub hosp is tapping money from their phi.....
    Last edited by Lisau77; 11-06-2016 at 23:21.