+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No PHI here. Don't see the value in it. I know someone who has PHI, covering dental, and still had to pay 10K out of pocket for her daughter's braces. It's ridiculous.

We don't have many health issues apart from eyesight problems and that is not worth paying PHI for.

I've never had issues with public healthcare. No one I know has had issues with public healthcare. For us it's just not worth it. We have ambulance cover with Ambulance Vic and pay barely anything for it so to us, that's much more worth the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have recently cancelled our PHI, it's just become too unaffordable for us as I am currently on maternity leave at half pay.
    It was costing us $350 a month, I dropped extras on the previous price hike but it was still $300.
    I mainly joined for IVF (although it didn't cover much), I must say I did get a lot out of the dental, remedial massages and acupuncture extras (when I was using it) plus a few hospital stays and bubs was delivered in a private hospital.

We might reconsider it in the near future but it definitely depends on finances

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow this thread has really opened my eyes. How did the government get to the point where private insurers could charge so much that people stop using the private and go public? It's so so so expensive and I constantly ask why we have it. I will be keeping it but I will be shopping around. They have shot themselves in the foot really.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

nicole83  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't have it. My husband on average pays $700 a week in tax. I think that is more than enough to cover a couple of GP visits a year for each of us.

My Kids have never been hospitalised, no broken bones or OT issues. It didn't make sense to me to get PH considering our circumstances.

The only out of pocket we have had so far is a dental plate for DS. I just saved up and paid for it. The one off cost far outweighed expensive premiums for stuff we didn't use.
    Last edited by Cicho; 11-06-2016 at 09:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pay $135 per month as a single for PHI. I have not added my daughter to my policy otherwise it would go up to $180 per month. I am in wa so pay $3 per month for ambulZnce covet for her. I may reduce cover to hospital only after I hAve my next and last baby as want to have bubs in a private hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we have PHI.

But I just spent Monday in the public hospital ER learning I need to have my gall bladder out. They've referred me to the elective public list. I went to the GP yesterday and have made an appt for the private surgeon in 3 weeks. Hoping to have surgery done and dusted within 6.

On the other hand, hubby has a suspected skin cancer on his nose. He went to the GP in December 15; was referred to the public list and his initial appointment isn't until next week. Depending on what they say, surgery for his could still be months away.

I'm in pain, every day & night. Severe enough I've been given some of the strongest pain killers that knock you out and render you useless. I don't want to do that for 6 months before I'm seen.

I've had plenty of surgeries, all deemed necessary and some life saving; never waited more than 6 weeks from "you need to have this done" to surgery and recovery. I wouldn't be without PHI.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    We don't have it. My husband on average pays $700 a week in tax. I think that is more than enough to cover a couple of GP visits a year for each of us.

My Kids have never been hospitalised, no broken bones or OT issues. It didn't make sense to me to get PH considering our circumstances.

The only out of pocket we have had so far is a dental plate for DS. I just saved up and paid for it. The one off cost far outweighed expensive premiums for stuff we didn't use.
    On that level of tax you would be paying the surcharge and would be better of with PHI?

In any case I still strongly believe that if you can afford it, you should pay it and leave the public system for those that can't (else the whole system will eventually crack).

PHI doesn't impact visits to the GP, so that's not really an issue.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    On that level of tax you would be paying the surcharge and would be better of with PHI?

In any case I still strongly believe that if you can afford it, you should pay it and leave the public system for those that can't (else the whole system will eventually crack).

PHI doesn't impact visits to the GP, so that's not really an issue.
    This is us. We have it so we don't burden public hospitals with things we can have done privately.

That said I think PHI is a cluster f u c k of disorganisation and a huge rip off, and the govt has completely screwed it up.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-06-2016),Cicho  (11-06-2016),Ngaiz  (11-06-2016),Silver flute  (11-06-2016),Wise Enough  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't have PHI, for lots of reasons.

I'd like to premise my comments by saying though, touch wood, we don't currently have any serious illnesses and i realise that affects my views.

Firstly, it's expensive! Ouch!

Secondly, i don't think most people really get value out of it. In a lot of cases, i think people would be better to put the money they would have otherwise paid into a savings account, if they can, and draw on that when needed to pay for medical things. I think most people would end up ahead if they did this, particularly given that there's often a gap and limits on cover (eg PHI only covering $500 of a $10,000 dental bill, like a PP said).

Thirdly, the public system in Australia is good. If we needed something done sooner than the public system would offer, we'd pay out of savings (I realise not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to do this).

Thirdly, PHI wasn't going to help us much with IVF, and we were more than happy to go public for birth.

We are also philosophically and politically committed to supporting public health. Some years we've gone over the Medicare Levy Surcharge threshold, and decided that we'd prefer to pay this than get PHI, as paying the surcharge further supports the public system. We think that your income shouldn't impact on the healthcare you get (though i recognise some hypocrisy here in the fact that if we were in a position of needing something done that the public system couldn't provide, we'd probably pay for it... but there you go - there's principles, and then there's doing what you can to make sure your family is well ☺ )

Just my five cents.
    Last edited by JustJaq; 11-06-2016 at 14:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have never had it