+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I have top hospital and extras.

I went public every time for birth. I would go public for any life threatening illness.

But, I have it for things that are not life threatening that take years in the public system. People often have to live with chronic pain because their condition is not life threatening but with private health it can be resolved very quickly instead of waiting for months or years.
    This. I see a lot of people at work in pain due to waiting for knee/hip replacement or hernia ops for years. My dad had 2 hip replacements with PHI - got it diagnosed & fixed in under 6 weeks. He has also had other ops in the private system that he would have had to wait a long time for.
    I must admit for IVF & maternity it probably wasn't worth it. Once I have had belly Bub I'll be looking at minimising our PHI to hospital only.
    Also DH had about 10k worth of dental work done last year & PHI covered a grand total of $500.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We don't have it for both reasons. I just don't think it's worth it unless the family needs glasses, speech therapy, ASD support etc. If it's life threatening then you get seen to straight away and if it's elective yes you wait. But in the 21 years I've been out of home I've had 1 operation not including my 3 c/s. That was a laparoscopy. Yes I waited a year and it annoyed me, but for me personally, 10's of thousands in premiums weren't worth being bumped up with queue for 1 op.

The thing that really made up my mind years ago was that even on top cover my father still wasn't getting it all back. He saw a chiro for $50 and only got $20 back! He should have got it all back!

The only insurance we have is comprehensive on our cars.... and that's expensive enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't.

We cancelled ours after a rubbish experience at a private hospital when we had a baby. Not worth the thousands of $

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have it. Basic hospital (finished with babies! And the excluded items won't really apply to us and if they did we can go public). I have top extras though. Mostly for dental (which we need), optical (again its a need), and recently we need physio for me and DH. We even got a rebate on a TENS machine we had to purchase (they covered 90% of the cost).

But in the end it depends what your needs are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it for 9 years and I ended up needing 3 operations and used it for cancer treatment and obstetrics. It was awesome! I definitely got the value out of it. But I reckon I'm a rare case as my husband never ever used his. We cancelled ours due to some advice from a financial planner. You are better of opening a term deposit and putting the $400 per month into it. Then the cash is there if you need but in most cases you won't and it'll just be cash that you can use one day. So that's what we do!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I have top hospital and extras.

I went public every time for birth. I would go public for any life threatening illness.

But, I have it for things that are not life threatening that take years in the public system. People often have to live with chronic pain because their condition is not life threatening but with private health it can be resolved very quickly instead of waiting for months or years.
    Exactly this. I have had family members live in pain while they wait for 12 months to have an operation, that they could have had within a couple of weeks privately. I'm not prepared to put myself, or my children through that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have it, but if finances were and issue I would look at getting 1k excess for hosp only cover, extras never pay out much, hosp can be 1000s, many ops can be paid outright instead and are cheaper than the cover on average but some aren't. There's plenty of semi urgent stuff with 1y plus waits in public, it just depends on what u need. Thus the suggestion to consider a ' rainy day' option. Even having a baby private the actual hospital charges are only about 6k for a5d stay and Caesar....but some stuff with expensive implants can be a killer without.... I have lots of friends who r Drs so know way too much politics, having the option to go private at a pinch is nice if u can, or always if u can more easily afford.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I have it. I'm considering dropping the extras cover, but I wouldn't be without hospital cover.

I can afford it and therefore feel I should contribute to my healthcare and take some strain off the public system.

I ended up at my public hospital in an ambulance during my pregnancy. Due to the nature of my issue I was basically ignored and left to miscarry. After 24 hours they realised I needed a blood transfusion. I had that and was sent home. Next time it happened I took myself to the private hospital. I stayed til I was happy to go home, had scans when I needed them and they were right on top of my blood transfusions. (Oh and DD survived it all)

While I agree for most emergencies it makes no difference, it makes a difference for more chronic or long term issues.

Hopefully I'll never need it again, but it is piece of mind for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have it. We are classed as middle income. I moan about it a lot but yet...we still have it.

Hospital cover has come in handy for us though. I've had gall bladder surgery (which I was very grateful I didn't have to wait for), then hip surgery (ditto being happy I didn't have to wait as I'm a dance teacher and I need a working hip!). I've also had numerous endoscopy and colonoscopies. I'm now staring down the barrel of sinus surgery which, if I need it, I will also be glad not to wait for. DH has also had surgery to have a large cyst removed (also would have had a huge waiting time). Mind you he was in no pain so that wouldn't have been an issue.

Hmm, now that I've read what I've written I'm seeing the benefits for us. My health has been a delicate tightrope for a long time.

The other reason we have it is my Dad always told us that if it was affordable, to get PHI so as not to clog the public system for those who can't afford it. My Dad was a stickler in that way - pay for it if you are able to then make the way for those who can't. That has stuck with me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (29-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never used to have then my health went down and discovered a lot of medical issues while trying have first Bub 9yrs ago. So I re-joined in 2005 and have t regretted never not getting it back. It's $$ yes but the amount of times I've been in and out of hospital for different surgeries. The amount the surgeries have cost compared to what I have paid out is nearly triple. I'm going in next month for a c-sec and having the option of having a hysterectomy straight away. Hence multiple surgeries to have this child. And my 9yr old is going to need braces in a couple years and our cover for that is nothing out of pocket at all. The way the Australian health system is going in years to come we as a country will end up like America where as if you don't have health care and you end up in hospital you'll be slugged with the bill at the end of your stay