+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Who has NO private health insurance?

Interested to hear from people who don't have PHI.

Is it purely a financial decision (being not affordable), or do you not believe the benefits are worth the cost? Do you believe our public health system can meet your family's requirements should the need arise?

Has anyone without PHI had a medical situation arise where they really regretted not having PHI?

After having PHI for many years, I'm seriously weighing up my options. DH is more than happy for me to cancel it outright, but I do worry about 'what ifs'. Our income isn't high enough to be concerned with the Medicare Levy Surcharge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have it, never have. I have had three babies through the public system. I have had the odd health issue but have never had to wait too long to have them seen to. I have always been healthy and my children are healthy also. I have never felt the need to have it. It's a personal choice but the public hospitals do a fabulous job in my opinion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (14-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have it as I am out of the catchment zone for my preferred public maternity hospital and wanted to go there as a private patient. Now I've had my two I'm seriously considering cancelling to save us $164/fn (no MLS here either). Both Dh and I have previously been through the public system and can't fault it. Great service and short waiting times. I truly believe we are very fortunate to have the health care system we have in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had it for years but didn't use it enough so i reduced it to just ambulance cover. I think about getting it alot just for the "un known" medical problems that can happen but yet to decide.

My husband for example needed to have knee surgery it was 7k out of pocket however the yearly payments for a health fund to cover this surgery are about 3.5k soooo it actually worked out cheaper being the only surgery we have needed for 5+ years besides pregnancy. It was also only 9 months on the public wait list for this surgery. My mum on the other hand has claimed about 50k worth of treatments in the past 12months alone with rehab and other hospital visits (she has top cover) so its a gamble either way imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have it - for me it is a combination of a financial decision and that I sort of have faith in the public system. When I had it, I had a breast reduction done. For that surgery it meant a lot of time was wiped off the waiting time and I could choose when it was done which was a good thing - the out of pocket costs were also large though.

I also had it when I was pregnant with DS - I ended up being admitted to hospital at 26 weeks due to PE but was then transferred to RWH in Melbourne as a public patient - DS was premmie & treated as a public patient & we were lucky in that we ended up with an awesome paed who we still see now.

Now that I have major mental health issues, I do regret not having it to a point (public system psych wards are zero fun) but then at times have been an involuntary patient anyway so would not have been able to be treated privately & for the most part private health cover wouldn't help all that much with the cost of being treated privately. I have had some issues with the public system (mainly around admissions) but overall other than being discharged from the MHU when I probably shouldn't have been, I have had fairly reasonable treatment from the public system.

My dad also had a spinal fusion this week - he was waiting a total of 4 months from the day he saw the surgeon, 6 months from the time his GP referred him but in general waiting lists for things like that would concern me from some stories that I've heard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've never had private health insurance. I've had two pregnancies/births and my DD has undergone cancer treatment, all in the public system. I've also had an ovarian cyst removed and wisdom teeth out. Never had an issue and we aren't looking at getting PHI anytime soon.

I gather it's more financially beneficial for higher income earners due to the Medicare loading or whatever it is. For us I feel it would be money down the drain as the public system has served us very well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our family doesn't have it and never has. No plans to get it either. We don't earn a large amount of money though, around 100k, I would describe us as "lower middle class" lol.

Whilst public hospitals aren't as nice to me it's not worth the thousands extra. Giving birth was a 2 day experience I could honestly go without the nice beds and meals etc

The cost doesn't seen worth it IMO. In an emergency you will be looked after regardless.

In regards to dental bills, glasses (I wear glasses) etc we figure we will still be ahead if we just pay upfront or go on a payment plan if needed.

We have savings in an offset account. I think that makes better financial sense.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who has NO private health insurance?

We have basic hospital cover but only to avoid the surcharge. We have never used it. I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat if the surcharge didn't exist.

Edit: I worked out how much we could possibly claim back using extras cover if we needed heaps of dental, physio, glasses etc., and it was less than the premium!!! What a joke.

If we needed something done and got put on a public waiting list we would go private and pay for it ourselves.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 09-06-2016 at 13:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have extras for dental work and glasses mainly but no hospital and never have.
    I've had four babies through the public system, including one 2 week SCN stay, and couldn't fault it. I've also had my gall bladder removed, I had to wait about two months from being put on the list but I was category two and not having any problems. I recently also had a colonoscopy which I waited about 5 months for but again it wasn't a emergency. Besides these it's mainly just been general ER visits and one emergency surgery when DD broke her leg, this included a two night stay, I again could not fault the system or the hospital throughout this ordeal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I will add that I have been extremely happy with DD's treatment for cancer in the public system. For emergencies like that, you're treated straight away. It's not like you have to wait just because it's public. I took DD to hospital on a Monday morning last August, CT scan within 3 hours, MRI Tuesday, biopsy Wednesday, diagnosed Friday afternoon. Treatment literally started Friday evening (steroids to stop the tumour growth). She was having chemo on Saturday morning via lumbar puncture and her first IV chemo started a week after she was brought in. We are so very fortunate to have a good health care system here.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (09-06-2016),babyno1onboard  (09-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-06-2016),LoveLivesHere  (09-06-2016),pointless1  (09-06-2016),SuperGranny  (14-06-2016)