+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 3 tattoos. Two I love, one I don't. I have one on my shoulder, one down my ribcage and one on my wrist. The one I really dislike is on my wrist, the one that's hardest to cover up! I used to go to great lengths to keep it covered, but I just don't bother anymore. I don't really notice it. I've thought about getting it covered with a different tattoo, but it would need to be fairly big to cover it, and my wrist is skinny, so I'm not sure.

I guess the "will I regret it when I'm 60 thing" depends on why you think you might regret it.
    If it's a design that you think means something to you now, but might not in the future = then maybe
    If it's because you think older people shouldn't have tattoos = then probably, don't do it
    If it's because you think your skin won't look as good at 60 = I don't think you'll actually care at that stage.

If you've had your heart set on a design for a long time, you'll probably love it. The one I have that I don't like was one I got on a whim.

Go to a really good, recommended place and ask them to draw it on you first. Then take your time really looking at it and make sure you love it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Dreamscapezd  (10-06-2016),~Marigold~  (09-06-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I was 100% sure about getting mine when I did, and yet I still regret it - and it's huge and ugly (IMO) and can never be removed. So even if you are sure now, doesn't mean you'll love it in ten years! I wish I'd never gotten inked.
    I agree with this notion, I don't know anyone who wasn't 100% at the time they sat in the tattooist's chair... Hindsight and regret is the problem. People change, feelings change, tastes change; I think you've got to come to terms with accepting that you may, at some point, not love your tattoo for whatever reason as much as you did the day you got it, but kind of live by the notion that at that point in time it was something special, something you really wanted. I try to look at mine that way, I hate having it on my leg and would much prefer it on my shoulder blade like I'd originally planned, but it is what it is. I'm kinda forced into having a "no regrets" frame of mind now. I can live with it. Luckily mine is very pretty 😌

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I agree with this notion, I don't know anyone who wasn't 100% at the time they sat in the tattooist's chair... Hindsight and regret is the problem. People change, feelings change, tastes change; I think you've got to come to terms with accepting that you may, at some point, not love your tattoo for whatever reason as much as you did the day you got it, but kind of live by the notion that at that point in time it was something special, something you really wanted. I try to look at mine that way, I hate having it on my leg and would much prefer it on my shoulder blade like I'd originally planned, but it is what it is. I'm kinda forced into having a "no regrets" frame of mind now. I can live with it. Luckily mine is very pretty 😌
    I do not have a tattoo. I want one but no idea what/where so i could be way off and romaticizing (new word!) this all.

I watch a bazillion tattoo shows on tv. And the theme seems to be 'I got x tattoo when I was at this point of my life and then x when this happened and I am getting x tattoo which means this to me etc etc'. So I always just assumed that it is something that represents you at that point of your life and the reason why people go back for more is there is something else to say/show about their life to tell a story.

Or I could be wrong. There are also the people that get them when extremely drunk. Or angry. Or both lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it doubt don't get it done!! I have 3. 1 you cannot see and 1 on either wrist that I absolutely love and admire every day. Took me a long time to think and decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re: being 60 with tattoos, my rationale at 17 was everyone in my demographic would have them so I'd be in good company.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two small tattoos I got in my early 20s. The first one I am happy with the design and placement but wished I'd known more about quality tattoo artists as some of the linework was a bit shaky and almost 20 years on it has 'bled'.

The other is great quality work, hardly faded or bled, but I got it with my XH early in our relationship. It's not his name or anything to do with him, but I still associate it with that time of my life - of which the ex was a big part. I CBF getting it lazered as it is easy to cover but I do regret it.

I still thijk about getting another but I can't commit as I know the chance of regret is high.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one in the middle of my back - not visible most of the time. I got it done 12 years ago - at 24. I regret it. Although I love it, it tells a story etc. If I were to turn back time I wouldnt have done it. I would stay a clean skin 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    would stay a clean skin
    Like a fine wine

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd ask yourself the following questions:
    Can it be hidden easily?
    Is it rude or offensive?
    Is it related to your current partner?
    Would you be comfortable showing the design to your grandmother?

If you've answered Yes, No, No, Yes then go for it.

And as a PP mentioned, chose the artist wisely! I have a tattoo that I still love years later but wish I'd got a better quality job, it has bled a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have tattoos.

Don't care where they are.

My next tattoo will be my whole chest. Not sure why people care about the 'visable' factor unless they are the ones looking at them??