+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree. Are you keeping him alive for him or for you?

I do think once u can answer this you will know. We have a 4 yr old shepherd (she's a young one compared!) but she has leg problems, she's got arthritis already and had surgery on her acl. She limps, she gets quite stiff but DF and I have talked about it and know the day she's not her dorky crazy self and looks in pain is the day we need to let her go. She has anti inflammatory meds if she needs them, hopefully this helps your pup. It's so hard and so unfair when you have to start thinking about these things. Pets are family. When the day comes and I have to lose one of my babies I'll be miserable and probably still just confused as u are now.
    Sending so many hugs! Sending hugs to your puppy too! The old guys need lots of hugs lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sending you big hugs. I have an 11yo dog and I dread making this decision one day.
    Talk to the vet and see what they think. Deep down you probably know the answer but I understand how hard it is to make.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge hugs to you. I've been there and it's a terribly difficult decision to make

It may just be my experience but the vets around here are reluctant to say "It's time." They seem to wait for you to arrive at that decision yourself.

So I think you need to look objectively at the quality of his life. To me, quality of life means being able to eat and toilet with dignity, be able to rest comfortably, to be free of pain, and to be able to enjoy the best of what life has to offer.

If you can honestly say that he has quality of life, then it's too early. But I keep thinking back to your post where you said he would be separated from you all upstairs, and I feel very sad for him.

I hope the vet has a way around the problem for you all, I know the pain that comes with this decision. But at some point you may have to say goodbye. It would be awful to leave it to the point where you have regret that he suffered in his last moments.
    Last edited by Blossom74; 09-06-2016 at 07:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    to you today as you talk to the vet. Whatever decision you end up making will be the right one for your boy right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a vet too, I'm with Amy, too late is the thing to regret.... I usually give people one of three options, u really need to do, we could try.... Or there's a good chance we can sort it..... Sounds like u will get option 1or 2, if ur not home much sounds like euthanasia might be better unless ur vet is confident about something like NSAIDs helping.... It can be good to plan an appropriate time rather than getting caught in a hurry at er at night when u get home to a disaster ( ie the too late regret)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I said goodbye to my lovely boy today. The vet felt that with pain relief and anti inflammatory meds he may have been able to handle the 3 steps at the front but not the high back stairs, and I just felt that that wasn't good enough quality of life for him.

He was very peaceful, but not before trying to raid the vets bag for liver treats and then pulling the plunger out of the syringe of sedative... Twice. Apparently that was a first.

I have a head ache and a heart ache.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

You made the right decision. It doesn't make it easier though. Sending lots of cyber hugs.

If you feel up to it I'd love to see a photo of him. He sounded like a wonderful soul

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry. I do agree you made the right decision. Hugs, hugs and more hugs!

Would love to see a picture of your beautiful boy. Xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Huge hugs to you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh lovely - my heart hurts for you. You did the right thing.