Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Balance bike vs bike with training wheels

Which is better for a 3 year old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Balance bike. It can take them a while to get used to it (because they have to learn how to balance), but after using balance bikes and bikes with training wheels...the balance bike is a clear winner in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Definitely a balance bike, DS got one at 2 and was riding a proper bike at 3 , never had training wheels

Thanks
    Reviews
    Balance bike all the way. DS2 went straight from his balance bike to a pedal bike with no training wheels. He is 3.5 years. Funny thing is he still grabs his balance bike most days as he prefers it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Balance bike X 100!

Balance bikes teach kids to ride bikes. The most difficult part of which is balance and control. Pedalling they generally pick up first time they try it.

Training wheels do not teach kids to ride bikes. They teach them to lean in the wrong direction and this is a very hard habit to break later on when training wheels are removed.

I think the best scenario is a balance bike (DS took less than an hour to figure it out when he was 2.5), then once they have completely mastered it and are ready, (maybe a year later), a 2 wheeler - potentially with training wheels for a week (most kids bikes come with them anyway) to get them used to the pedals then take them off before they get too comfy. This worked really well for us, DS1 was riding his 2 wheel pedal bike independently in less than 24 hours after we removed the training wheels (which he had only used a couple of times to get used to the pedals and his new bigger bike dimensions).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Balance bike

Thanks
    Reviews
    Balance bike. I brought one from
    Hip Kids which converts from balance bike to pedal bike and even comes with training wheels so covers all bases

Thanks
    Reviews
    Balance bike all the way. My DS got one when he was 2 and then a peddle bike with no training wheels for his 4th birthday. He could ride it confidently within 10 mins because he had the balance ability already. Also I see kids riding bikes with training wheels and they just look heavy and not very manoeuvrable. Whereas my DS was whizzing around everywhere on skate parks etc :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks all. I'll be getting a balance bike for DS. My older kids all has training wheels and all late to start riding without them. My older son (7 in July) still can't ride without them. I wonder if you can get balance bikes for older kids...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely balance bike! DS 1 was riding his confidently well before 2yo and moved straight onto a pedal bike before he was 3. Like previous posters, it took him just a few minutes to work out to keep pedaling and then no probs. He has been racing the full BMX racetrack unassisted since turning 4, now almost 5yo. I attribute it all to the balance bike as he only needed to learn to pedal, nothing else. DS2 has been confident (crazy wild!) on the balance bike since 18 months of age, and now that he has just turned two he is racing mini-wheelers at bmx - just for balance bike kids aged 2-4 yo.
    The brand we brought is called First Bike - it has solid tyres so no punctures and ours has been absolutely flogged by two boys around our farm day in day out. The dog chewed the mudguard and it is covered in mud but otherwise still perfect. You can get a lowering kit too for littler kids so they can stand over the bike and still reach the ground. The seat adjusts upwards with a simple knob, no tools required. DS1 still jumps on for stunt riding and its a 5 second job to put the seat right up for him so his knees aren't dragging on the ground. I would recommend balance bike, and the First Bike brand without hesitation.