Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Norwest private questions

Just a few questions if anyone can answer them that would be great

Do they have a nicu? My next baby will not than likely be born early

Was it worth it?

How much out of pocket were you?

Could your partner stay?

Do they take high risk patients? I'll need to be looked after a high risk team from the beginning of my pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't birthed there yet, but just booked in.

Yes they have nicu - I know because we talked about having to pay a second excess if the baby was admitted to nicu (fine, $250 will be the least of my worries if my baby has to be admitted).
    I assume as they have nicu - high risk is fine, though I am not so I could be wrong, maybe check with an ob before you book with them.

Partners can stay if you have a double room. They have a high number of double bed rooms,I cant remember exactly but I think it was something like 36 - these are allocated on a first come basis (tho if you have a section you're not allocated a double room).

All my out of pockets for the ob and hospital/theatre costs are covered by my fund. I may incur a fee for the anaesthetist and pead if they won't treat me under my health fund special payment scheme, but u won't know that until the time comes.
    For me it's worth it, as I didn't want to travel to Westmead for all the antenatal appointments. It's also 5 min down the road from us and from my parents when I want them to bring dd. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my bub there earlier this year.

I do remember there being something on the documents that if bub was early you couldn't have the baby there. I think it was for bubs before 34 weeks so best check that out.

I definitely though it was worth going private. The private rooms were great and having my husband stay meant we could get some important bonding time.

For my ob we were out of pocket roughly $3k. Hospital excess was $500. Epi was $500 and the pediatrician was about $450.

Not sure what the extra costs would be if bub had to be admitted separate from the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had 2 babies at Norwest. I was very happy with it, the rooms are great and your partner can stay - most rooms are double beds. There are a couple of shared rooms but they are generally used for antenatal patients (I stayed overnight once during my first pregnancy). The hospital cost should be covered by your insurance, you just pay your excess - although, if you have a high risk pregnancy you might be admitted more than once, and you should only have to pay the excess once per year.

They do have NICU but if you need to deliver before 34wks (or it could be 32wks now, check with the hospital) they will transfer you to Westmead.

I highly recommend Dr Robert Chu if you're looking at paediatricians. He's excellent and very thorough.

Depending on the reasons you're considered high risk, you may need to deliver in a public hospital - it's best to check with your preferred OB for advice, but public hospitals are generally better equipped for very high risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkTutu View Post
    I haven't birthed there yet, but just booked in.

Yes they have nicu - I know because we talked about having to pay a second excess if the baby was admitted to nicu (fine, $250 will be the least of my worries if my baby has to be admitted).
    I assume as they have nicu - high risk is fine, though I am not so I could be wrong, maybe check with an ob before you book with them.

Partners can stay if you have a double room. They have a high number of double bed rooms,I cant remember exactly but I think it was something like 36 - these are allocated on a first come basis (tho if you have a section you're not allocated a double room).

All my out of pockets for the ob and hospital/theatre costs are covered by my fund. I may incur a fee for the anaesthetist and pead if they won't treat me under my health fund special payment scheme, but u won't know that until the time comes.
    For me it's worth it, as I didn't want to travel to Westmead for all the antenatal appointments. It's also 5 min down the road from us and from my parents when I want them to bring dd. Hope this helps
    Thankyou so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your replies
    It won't be worth me going private which makes me sad because I delivered at 32 weeks this year as I had severe Preeclampsia . I was sent to Nepean and had to deliver there.
    I would hate to pay for private and end up in Nepean again or Westmead. There's a high chance that I could deliver that early again or go full term. I spent 3 weeks in hospital and though it would be much nicer at norwest and closer to home.

The joys of being high risk