Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think you should give the Sunday night up, but I do think you should tell your dh to pull his finger out and start shouldering more of the load with her.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (08-06-2016),monroe78  (08-06-2016),VicPark  (08-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    If you read my original post my first question was asking what other people's access arrangements were.. I'm not singling you out by asking your situation, I asked it from the start before you replied.

I'm not arguing with you because I don't want to hear your opinion, I simply stated that your post came across to me differently than what you may have intended.
    You have singled me out as you only asked me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But you don't really get alone time with kids once you have more than 1. I have 4 kids and work and my kids would be lucky to get 1 x 1 time with me once a week. I try but it's hard when they are young and need you.

I have one daughter (grade 2) who needs help every morning. It's not great but it is what it is.

I'm trying to be delicate in how I say this but your gripe is with your husband not his daughter. She's a child navigating her world with separated parents and he's a grown up.
    I didn't intend my original post to sound like I had a gripe or issues with my DSD, I was genuinely wanting to know what others in similar situations do and what the best thing is for all involved. I'm not having a go at you btw, I just didn't want my OP to be misinterpreted.

Yes DF actively helping would help with the situation but I don't know how to make that happen. He would just constantly drop DSD to school late if they weren't ready to leave on time which in my eyes is not ok. Yes I could scream & yell at him about it but I just don't think that will fix the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe78 View Post
    You have singled me out as you only asked me.
    Well I suppose you feeling like I singled you out is equal to how I feel about your harsh post directed at how I step parent. Maybe I didn't mean it in the way you took it, maybe you didn't mean it in the way I took it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel my post is getting off topic. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimise the impact these Monday school mornings will have on my DD and newborn or not? I have put details in a previous comment ^^^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you need to tell DH that if HE wants the sunday night with his daughter, it is HIS responsibility to get her up, ready for school, & out the house. Heck, he can help with lunches and washing uniforms, too. Perhaps he could spend some special time with all 3 kids (newborn included) - either a long bath time, or stories in their bedroom, etc - for an hour on sunday nights so you can get a few things ready? I would just let him get her ready in the mornings. If she isnt ready, he will be late. He will learn soon enough to shape up, or he will suffer lateness for it. Having a newborn is tough, & it can be really stressful working out how it will all work out, especially with older kids. Perhaps if you are struggling in those early weeks, you could ask for him to drop her home sundays for the first 3 months of the babies life? Thats only 6 times he will miss out on those sunday nights. When the baby has passed those first few months, things always feel easier .

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (08-06-2016),ChatlotteA  (08-06-2016),Excited1  (08-06-2016),SuperGranny  (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I didn't intend my original post to sound like I had a gripe or issues with my DSD, I was genuinely wanting to know what others in similar situations do and what the best thing is for all involved. I'm not having a go at you btw, I just didn't want my OP to be misinterpreted.

Yes DF actively helping would help with the situation but I don't know how to make that happen. He would just constantly drop DSD to school late if they weren't ready to leave on time which in my eyes is not ok. Yes I could scream & yell at him about it but I just don't think that will fix the problem.
    I didn't take it that way.

As for what to do, honestly in so many ways it's organic. I look back on when my eldest started school and so much was trial and error. You can't do it all with a newborn as well. Is your DH likely to sit back and let you shoulder the burden or would he step in?

You should probably have an honest talk to him. But I find with my husband we need to be in the thick of it before he gets what needs to be done. As much as you plan these things some people just can't or won't adjust their ways until it's all falling apart around them and they have to.

I do feel for you.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (08-06-2016),Excited1  (08-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel my post is getting off topic. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimise the impact these Monday school mornings will have on my DD and newborn or not? I have put details in a previous comment ^^^^
    I cant find the comment,but I think you said they would be up at 6am? My kids are early risers, often up by 6.30, so we just do 6.30pm bedtime. Can you shift bedtime a bit earlier those days if she is usually in bed late? The newborn will adjust to anything, my 3rd baby was up & shipped around all over the place because she had to be I just made sure she had opportunity to sleep in the capsule or baby carrier or at home when we were home (which wasnt often!) I think it would be your school child who might find it difficult, but she would adjust I think. Perhaps that monday could be an easy night - dinner in front of the TV or something & early to bed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (08-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it will affect your newborn as such, he or she will have young kids in the house from day one. Unless you are going to make your combined children to be quite from day dot the new born will sleep through the noise or wake up for a feed and go back to sleep.
    It's the way it goes when you have more than one child and a new born in the house.
    I am understanding of your situation and think it will be hard on your dsd to be leaving the house that early if your df does want to keep her for that long however now I think about it my kids have been in before school care from that time since the 2nd week of prep. So it can be done and they get use to it.

With school clothes - if you can not get them washed and dried in time on the weekend can you just buy a extra set of school clothes to keep on that weekend? That way you always have a set at your house? It won't cost you that much to get one shirt and pants?

Time management - in the morning your daughter will wake up early, she can watch tv for a extra hour. Obviously the girls get along? They might like being able to get ready together.

Losing time with your daughter - I actually find that a bit upsetting that you see it that way. You have her all during the week by herself, you dad is part of your family. You have a newborn on the way sorry you won't get one on one time for a while. Make a day during the week your one on one time. What about the other weekend the step daughter is at her mums? Can you make that one on one time?

I see both sides of this - I totally understand your side of the extra person and stress. But in realty one more doesn't make that much of a issue. Your making a lunch anyway what's one more? It takes 2 more seconds.
    What does you df do now in the mornings? Could having all her stuff like school clothes shoes socks bag ready in the lounge room on Sunday night work out easier? So she sees it and knows she has to get dressed?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2 girls 1 boy For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (08-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-06-2016),VicPark  (08-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you purchase another uniform for her to wear on the Monday and then you keep the one she's worn on Friday and have the whole fortnight to wash it ready to swap around the following fortnight? She'll come on Friday with her lunchbox and everything she needs so use those and pack while you're packing your own daughter's lunch? Your DF needs to step up and help with the care of his own daughter! I'm assuming your daughter is at school? Get him to mirror you while you're organising your daughter, ie I'm just brushing X's hair so you can brush Y's teeth then we'll swap and you can brush Y's hair while I'm doing X's teeth etc.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast