+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3 year old computer use

I'm wondering about beginning my 3 year olds on using a little bit of technology. We don't have a tablet, only a laptop. They haven't used anything yet. Does anyone have ideas on where to start? I like Reading Eggs and think they'd enjoy it but they haven't even used the mouse yet so I would like to know some ways to begin to give them some skills. Any ideas please??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD started using Reading Eggs at 3.5 but could not use the mouse. So she would sit on my lap and point at the screen and I would click for her. She started using the mouse closer to 3.

I didn't plan on her using it then but signed up to check out the free trial to see if it was worth recommending to my students. She saw it and was enthralled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to know that by three they might be able to start using the mouse. I might try to find mouse activities to begin with.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 year old computer use

DS did reading eggs also and my DD was interested.

I tried a few different things like Disney JR games to increase her dexterity, but I'm going to be honest and admit it was a little frustrating. Fear of breaking the computer or relying on me to sit with her made it not worth it atm.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (08-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    DD started using Reading Eggs at 3.5 but could not use the mouse. So she would sit on my lap and point at the screen and I would click for her. She started using the mouse closer to 3.

I didn't plan on her using it then but signed up to check out the free trial to see if it was worth recommending to my students. She saw it and was enthralled.
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Good to know that by three they might be able to start using the mouse. I might try to find mouse activities to begin with.
    Sorry, hadn't finished my morning coffee and woken properly when I typed that. She was closer to 4 when she started managing the mouse by herself, not 3!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ok. Thanks. Not sure how mine will go at this age. Maybe a tablet is worth it and they can swipe and touch instead. Or maybe we'll stick to books....ha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    in my opinion, I would just stick to books for the meantime. I heard a lot of my friends (including me) complaining on how "addicted" their kids are to gadgets. i suggest that you stay gadget free as of the moment and let her enjoy books and playing outdoors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalphoebe View Post
    in my opinion, I would just stick to books for the meantime. I heard a lot of my friends (including me) complaining on how "addicted" their kids are to gadgets. i suggest that you stay gadget free as of the moment and let her enjoy books and playing outdoors.
    Yes i tend to agree. I'm very "old school" about these things in general. It's only that my girls are very interested in letters and numbers at the moment so i thought it would be a fun way to explore. I'm definitely NOT keen on teaching them these things too early though, i'd much rather they explore their natural environment and books are currently their favourite things. However if they do 20 mins twice a week on the computer i'd be comfortable with that as an introduction.