+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default cooking /buying dinner for friend who is sick

My friend has broken her leg and is bed bound for the moment. She has a large young family (all under 10). What would you appreciate meal wise in her situation?
    I know people normally do a casserole or something but I am a terrible cook (not false modesty- I actually suck). I wouldn't want to subject non family to my cooking.
    I was thinking about buying something or maybe a gift card for a delivery (if such things exist). Does anyone know of a gift card or voucher i could buy or suggestions for a freezable large meal I could purchase?
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pizza from the local take away. They will usually let you do a tab for someone and then they just call up and order.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I like the above suggestion regarding the pizza shop!

There is a website called Menulog - it's a home delivery service for take-away shops in your area. I just checked and you can buy vouchers through them.

I'm assuming you live locally to your friend OP? If so, I think you could drop over meals like:

- a hot chook/hot chips/salad from a local chicken shop
    - a big pre-made lasagne and salad
    - Thai or Indian take-away

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Blackdomino1 a lot of delis stock ready made meals in family size. They are closer to homemade than supermarket products. Also on Facebook there is a group "Quirky Healthy Hampers" which has been setup to help people in your friend's situation. Somebody there might be able to help out, particularly if you could provide some grocery money. I imagine with a broken leg healing will take a while and they'll get sick of take out. What do the kids usually eat? It might not be hard to cook. Lite n a Easy can be good in an emergency, but not sure if that would suit the kids.

It's lovely that you are trying to help. I'm bedridden at the moment and meals become tricky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our local Farmers Market make their own family sized meat pies and quiches. Maybe grab two and chop up some veggies so it just all needs to be heated. What about Lennards? Their Lenny Pops or Mini Strudels are yummy for kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

Gagingi  (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the suggestions. I ended finding a couple of large quiches and also threw in some person care items (magazines, hand cream, choccies etc). Menu log does have a gift voucher but you have to have completed an order. I might use it this weekend then give her a voucher for next week!