+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10 weeks is it to soon?

So I'm 10 weeks and the pregnancy seems to be going strong! Is it too soon to start shopping? Am I jinxing myself if I start buying my nursery items?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not too soon start whenever you are ready I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will always get different answers here, depending on who you're talking to and the perception they have of their own experiences.
    I think if you are feeling the urge to go shopping than you should go!
    Lots of people treat 12 weeks as some sort of goal post. I know I felt that way with my last pregnancy... and then I found out at 20 weeks that our baby was terminal.

I bought lots of stuff for him and while I'm sure that a part of me will feel sad when I use that stuff on my future babies - I also see it as way to reflect and remember him and the love I had for him in the time that he was here.
    I think pregnancy is a gift, and you should celebrate it any chance you get!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sm3rc For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (10-06-2016),Cue  (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was looking at buying a cot and cradle and my partner thought it might be a bit too soon... Insult wanted to have an opinion from other mums

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Completely up to you. Many women wait until the 12 week mark as generally it's considered the "safe" point and early MC/ectopic etc has been ruled out.
    My MIL took me on a bit of a shopping spree at 9 weeks when pregnant with my DD and I was hesitant and remember thinking at the time how it could all (it's unfortunate but a reality) could be returned if the worst was to happen.
    Shopping for a new baby is so much fun and exciting, maybe you can buy a few little gender neutral outfits for now and perhaps leave the big ticket items until after you've reached the 2nd trimester?
    I had a pregnancy loss last year and had already put a baby carrier on layby (it was a bargain price during a sale and I wanted to snap it up) and going back to cancel the layby was admittedly heartbreaking...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!! I guess that is my partners fear... Maybe I should wait...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally up to you, I had irrational thoughts that I didn't want to jinx it and didn't buy anything with my first till about 26 weeks!
    Maybe hang out till after the 12 week scan ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put little things on layby but didn't commit to outright purchases until after 12 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Buy when you want to buy. My first pregnancy, I started buying bits and pieces when I first found out. I lost that baby at 8 weeks and a lot of that stuff went into a box and will be used for my current Bub. I did have a pram on layby and just asked my mum to call up and cancel it for me.
    This pregnancy, I bought something when I got the positive test as a milestone present. I bought something after my first scan as a milestone present. I ended up buying a fair few things before I hit 12 weeks, and that's only because I'm of the belief that what will be, will be. Unfortunately, there is no "safe" period during pregnancy. If you want to buy stuff, go for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

sproutx3  (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't see the point in waiting. There's no such thing as "jinxing" and its going to get used eventually. We were buying things if they went on special for the 3 years we were TTC. It spread the costs out, and allowed us to buy exactly what we wanted rather than having to compromise for affordability.