Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How big is this hole?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Neighbour's dog in our garden

Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    OP mentioned both of them rent through the same agent.
    Whoops. I read the post twice to check but apparently I'm blind today.

Definitely use the agent. It's their landlords responsibility to fix this.

If that doesn't work I'd call the council. They are the ones who usually have to collect animals - not pounds. You also run the risk of the animal being euthanised if not chipped and that would be disastrous for neighbourly relations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Some dogs are houdinis. Our last dog was. We would block every hole and avenue we could find only to find her sitting at our front door waiting to come in.

As frustrating as it is sometimes the owners are trying. In the end we had to redo the entire fence. But if they're building and moving I doubt they'll do that.

Sorry not sure what the answer is. I'd have been devastated if someone had called the pound on us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Sorry not sure what the answer is. I'd have been devastated if someone had called the pound on us.
    Yes, I do think calling the pound is a bit drastic (and will make for very strained neighbourly relations).

I know you don't want to spend money to rectify this OP - neither would I - but I would probably look at trying to cover the gap using something I already had on hand (even if it looked a bit scrappy) just until the tenants get it properly sorted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Yes definitely don't want to call the council about it, it was just DH getting frustrated. It's a pretty big gap, half way up the top of a sloping piece of land that we don't use. DH said we don't have anything to block it with and can see neighbours have loads of unused pavers in their garden so they could easily use those.
    I'll go and investigate what she's done about it today and if there are any small gaps left I may be able to do something about those. I agree that the landlord should do something or we might have their same problem again when these neighbours move out and others move in!
    I'm not one for making a problem out of nothing but my daughter is scared of the dog and I'm worried it'll get run over.
    Will raise it with the agent anyway, not as a complaint but as a maintenance issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This scenario terrifies me, and I do NOT scare easily. I've had issues with neighbour dogs coming in my back yard, and just had to for out $1200 on a vet bill because they got hold of my 18yr old cat and snapped her leg like a twig as well as covering her in puncture wounds. IMHO call the pound, call the pound, and call the pound again. I was lucky my cat wasn't killed, and I'm lucky my young cat only had a small abscess in her tail from the same dogs. Having also been in the position that I had to jump between my nephew at 18mo in his pram and rip him out of it WHILE kicking away the dog trying to maul him I seriously do not take chances with dogs. I am an animal lover, but kids come first and if your LO is already scared of the dog chances are it's done something to make him that way whether it was a growl or a bark, don't risk it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Yes, I do think calling the pound is a bit drastic (and will make for very strained neighbourly relations).
    What's the OP supposed to do? Not let her kids use the backyard until the neighbours eventually implement a workable fix or Move out?

Trying is good however it means diddly squat if it doesn't work and your kids can't use the backyard.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What's the OP supposed to do? Not let her kids use the backyard until the neighbours eventually implement a workable fix or Move out?

Trying is good however it means diddly squat if it doesn't work and your kids can't use the backyard.
    I kinda agree with this tbh.

I love dogs/animals in general. But if my child was frightened and it impacted them going olout into their own backyard then the neighbour 'kinda trying this and that' is not good enough.

From your last post it seems like they were home and not aware the dog was in your yard? Well they need to start to be aware.

Also it is scary that the dog will be out on the road. I know that sometimes animals get out but it should not impact your life.

I would not call the pound unless I did not know where the animal came from. Definitely would get onto the real estate (even if they are rubbish at least they know).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you able to pick the dog up? If so, next time you find it in your yard, pick it up and take it to your neighbours and say " He has been in our yard again, so ive contacted the landlord as obviously the fence needs looking at"!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

I'm of the belief it's better to try and work with your neighbour to come up with a solution before getting authorities involved.

I just don't agree with calling the pound when a solution may be very close to being reached.

And yes, I would exclude my child from playing in the yard until I deem it to be safe again.