+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well that's why I'm on this site (as time-consuming as this all is as well) - because I'm out of ideas and just cannot fathom being able to comb out hair with a tot clinging to my legs. My hippie parents unbelievably used kero on our hair when younger - I will not do that. My MIL said to douse the hair in coconut oil and tie it in a tight braid, so I did that this morning, along with some squirts of tea tree oil. Hoping it does at least something 😕 Will give it a brief comb through tonight too, but - those f-ing annoying combs!! No sorry, chemicals are definitely not my cup of tea - not in any shape or form 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At the risk of sounding pedantic - tea tree oil, coconut oil, conditioner etc are all chemicals simply because everything in world is made up of chemicals.

If you want a natural nit killer, try Moov, the active ingredients are eucalyptus oil and some other oil. I've found it won't kill 100% of the lice but will get most of them and is much better than conditioner on a heavy infestation.

ETA years ago someone on here recommended mixing a huge amount of salt with conditioner and applying that to the scalp. Do not ever do this. It burnt my DD's scalp and neck.

Getting rid of nits is a huge PITA, I once had to resort to putting on a movie and going through my DD's hair with a pair of scissors and cutting out each strand of hair I could find with an egg attached. Her hair was so fine that the nit combs just glided through her hair. Time consuming but it was the only thing that got rid of them in the end.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 06-06-2016 at 13:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read that soaking the hair in Listerine, putting on a bag/shower cap and leaving for an hour then rinsing and doing the same again with white vinegar is very effective. Shampoo the hair after combing all the nits out. Supposedly the Listerine and vinegar melt the glue that makes the egg stick to the hair. I haven't tried it myself but might be worth a try

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No matter what treatment you use. Comb through their hair everyday for at least 8 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD has tangly hair and the metal combs just ripped tufts of hair out. So I reverted to the cheap plastic comb and conditioner method. I have never used a chemical treatment and never had them re-emerge (have had DD pick them up again as she had a child in her class one year who always had them.

BUT do read about the lice life cycle so you understand why the repeat applications are as important as the first one. So first time, saturate dry hair with conditioner (Wella Shine is super-slippery and cheap!) Then comb through making sure you do not miss a section, wiping the comb on paper towel as you go. Then I check along the back hairline/behind ears about 2cm away from the scalp for eggs. You can't get them off the hair so I squash them between my thumbnails until I feel them pop.

Then do the condition/comb again every 4 days for 2 weeks to grab any just hatched lice before they mature and lay new eggs.

Once I found a nice slippery conditioner, the process takes about 15-20 minutes. Before bed was the worst time to try to do it. I would try to do it earlier in the evening. eg. Early dinner and then special TV time while I did it, or give a late snack when we got home from daycare and do it then while dinner was in the oven.

Treating them properly will save you time in the long run. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, ok, cool. Some good ideas, thanks. I think what's going on is, as a PP said DD's hair is too fine. I find it easier to get them out with my fingernails actually. But from my own hair? This is the worst as it's dark hair AND I happen to have dandruff as well so can be hard to distinguish what's what. I think we tried Moov (I'm never good at remembering brand names...) and repeated it every single week, but it did FA and so now I've just about lost hope. Anyway, will try some of the ideas mentioned - thanks guys! Also, both grandmas are currently overseas globe-trotting, so have very limited help with the tot - ahhh well 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    No sorry, chemicals are definitely not my cup of tea - not in any shape or form 😁
    If you want to go chemical-free, you also need to give up water (because it's made of a chemical called H2O...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD's have only had nits once thank goodness.
    My eldest has very blonde hair which makes the eggs ridiculously hard to see.
    In my determination to get them all out i put a movie on for her and went thru her very thick hair literally with a fine tooth comb, a pair of tweezers and with a headlamp on my head.
    Took hours but it got all the eggs and then i straightened it just as an extra measure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now I have thankfully not had to deal with lice with my kids so far (*touch wood!*), and I have absolutely no idea if this would actually work or not, but I saw it going around Facebook once... Apparently pouring a bottle of coke over the hair and allowing it to dry before washing it out kills them? Like I said, no idea if it works!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you aren't willing to use stronger products, you really have no choice but to make time to sit down and get rid of every last one of the lice and nits.
    Having the mindset of "even if it's not guaranteed to kill them all" is just going to amplify the infestation and end up more time consuming in the long run.

Dd1 has has them once and this was my process:
    KP24 treatment
    Coat hair with conditioner and then comb all of the hair in tiny sections
    Straighten hair to fry any nits that may have been missed.
    I repeated that a week later and also went through her hair every day in between and for a week or so later.