+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids these days...

Going out to play with your friends and your parents not being able to reach you until you show up at home several hours later.. And they didn't even care.

Yeah like that's going to happen with my kids! Ha!

ETA - I'm getting them microchipped as soon as that's a thing.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (07-06-2016),Frankenmum  (07-06-2016),JR03  (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    ETA - I'm getting them microchipped as soon as that's a thing.
    Haha, totally wish this was possible! My DS is a champion at paying hide and seek, without telling me he's playing! So many heart-stopping moments!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    For my first job I worked in the typing pool. If I made a mistake I would use tippex, but more often then not would have to start the page again. I also collected the faxes and telexes.

The best bit was my pay packet. An actual packet with money (including $1 and $2 notes) in it.
    I actually know someone who still gets a pay packet in the orange envelope!!! All legit with a pay slip and everything! They have to then go and put money in the bank

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 girls 1 boy View Post
    I actually know someone who still gets a pay packet in the orange envelope!!! All legit with a pay slip and everything! They have to then go and put money in the bank
    Wow - in this day and age that is just a total pain! I had a job in 2003 where the owner paid us like this and it was an inconvenience. Even back then it was considered pretty old school. One of the ladies I worked with used to catch the train home from work and felt vulnerable and uncomfortable having to travel with that much cash on her.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my first job, I don't think there was a computer in the building. we had a switchboard to transfer calls, pabx and telex and fax was still a pretty new machine. I was in charge of the photo copier, so I was the young 'tech' kid. My pay was in cash, but hardly a fortune. I think less than $40 for a Monday to Friday week. How times have changed. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Two tv programs I remember watching as a kid were Romper Room and Mr Squiggle and Round the twist!! Oh and Mulligrubs!!
    Last edited by Tinkers; 07-06-2016 at 10:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Paper address books you would have to write in
    Sega
    Nintendo 64
    Macintosh computers
    Not being able to use the internet and home phone at the same time
    Downloading a song would take up to an hour
    Downloading an episode of a show would take over 24 hours
    AOL
    VCRs and having to blow in them to get the dust out
    Breaking the little tab off the cassette so you couldn't (or could???) tape over something
    Taping movies off of the tv and having to hit the pause button to avoid recording the ads
    Taping songs off the radio and getting annoyed when the DJs would talk or make noises throughout the song
    Walkmans!
    Discmans!
    Going to the milkbar to buy a huge $2 sack of hot chips (is that still a thing?)
    Goosebumps books
    Goosebumps show

I miss the 90s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ICQ & Napster

Oh and those forwarded emails you used to get from your friends that you used to fill out, like favourite band, favourite food, biggest flirt ect.
    Last edited by Nomia; 07-06-2016 at 11:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Wow - in this day and age that is just a total pain! I had a job in 2003 where the owner paid us like this and it was an inconvenience. Even back then it was considered pretty old school. One of the ladies I worked with used to catch the train home from work and felt vulnerable and uncomfortable having to travel with that much cash on her.
    It would be a big pain, every week having to find time to go to bank or post office to deposit the money cause of direct debits. I actually don't know how they do it cause it's not my place to ask but I found it interesting that they still do it this way.