+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did your baby make eye contact?

Hi ladies. My DD is 5 weeks old tomorrow and not really making eye contact or smiling.

She's a very alert baby otherwise - doesn't sleep much, good head control, always looking around.

It's just that when I look at her she's always looking off to the side. I don't know if this is normal or not.

My instincts are not reliable because I've had a terrible pregnancy history which has left me hyper vigilant (I'm working on that). That's why I'm asking for other experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't stress too much just yet, she's still so tiny. I actually don't remember when my ds started eye contact. I've just checked some photos of when he was about 5 weeks old and I think he was looking at us, but it wasn't meaningful eye contact if that makes sense. I think their eyesight at that age is still quite fuzzy and they're not that aware of their surroundings.

give it another week or 2 I reckon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From memory eye contact often occurs between 6 - 8 weeks. I definitely wouldn't worry yet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember worrying about this, as DS always seemed to stare at the ceiling rather than look at us and we said maybe he'd be a plasterer when he grows up! I think he started looking more at us directly after six weeks (corrected, he was prem)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. I've decided to work on this by spending more time interacting with her. That should encourage her maybe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't remember having a lot of eye contact with my first for a very long time. I worried over it slightly but like you knew he was healthy in every other respect. As he got older. It definitely helped that i modelled not only eye contact but the body language and listening skills that go with it.