+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hello! Please help me decide if I should travel to Arnhem Land when 6 weeks pregnant!

Hi ladies,

I need some help to make a decision. I just found out I am pregnant (about 4-5 weeks). We have been trying for a while and got pregnant on our first cycle of clomid and pregnal injection but Dr said it was surprising that it worked as he thought we would need IVF.

I have a trip to Arnhem Land coming up on 17th June. It is a basket weaving trip involving 16 women from Melbourne and other cities. The trip involves flying to Darwin, driving in a trooper with 10 other women for two days to a remote Aboriginal community in East Arnhem land, camping for 8 days in the community, then driving 2 days back to Darwin. They have a pit toilet and a cold shower. We will be camping just outside of the community and weaving each day with the Aboriginal women and children. We will go out into the bush to collect roots and plant fibres. I am getting such mixed advice from medical professionals and friends and family that I am unsure if I should go. My mother thinks it's an absolute no-no but some younger female nurse and doctor friends think it would be fine and there is low risk.

So... would you go? I'll be about 6 weeks pregnant when I leave.

**** just found out I would miss my first scan at the 6 1/2 week mark ... I would have to wait until I'm 91/2 weeks for the scan which the nurse said is possible but not ideal.....

Thanks so much for any advice!
    Simone xx
    Last edited by Simone Tess; 06-06-2016 at 12:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go. Yes absolutely go. No reason not to and it will be Such an experience! Drinking bottled water would be my only thought!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radio For This Useful Post:

Simone Tess  (04-06-2016),sunnygirl79  (06-06-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't see why not.
    None of that will harm your pregnancy/baby. Comfort wise you'll be fine, I wouldn't camp whilst heavily pregnant but being in the very early stages you won't need to worry so if you're wanting to do it I wouldn't let pregnancy stand in the way.
    Use common sense, be careful and go for it I say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it were me I wouldn't go until I crossed that 12 week 'mostly safe' mark. If something goes wrong (touchwood - hope it doesn't) and you need a hand you will be a long way from help.

I'm a paranoid pessimist though, so don't know how much my view would be backed by medical fact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I won't sugar coat it - being preg on a trip like that will be a PITA but I dont see how it could increase your risk of miscarriage or anything.

We camped in remote North WA when I was about 16w. I found it hard when other's weren't as concerned for food hygiene as I was (due to Listeria risk). I would take some protein/meal replacement bars (check the wrappers as some have too much vitA so labelled as not suitable during preg) in case you can't eat a meal or 2. Also take lots of dry crackers, barley sugar lollies and some hydralyte sachets. 6w is when nausea kicks in for many women. Plus expect to be much more tired than normal.

The roads will be pretty rough, but don't worry - all the bumping is only an issue in late pregnancy.

You will probably need to pee overnight - a lot. If I did my trip over I would invest in a she-pee or similar. The toilets were too far to trek to several times a night and squatting in the dark is no fun!

Finally, make sure you're covered for ambulance up there, just in case. But it sounds like the sort of trip you would regret missing so I'd go for it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (05-06-2016),~Marigold~  (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Question-are you allowed to partake in this indigenous practice when pregnant? I only ask because there are certain things you can't do in my culture when pregnant (for cultural reasons not medical).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

kim85  (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would go. I lived and worked as a nurse in Nhulunbuy. Providing it's not the wet season access to town/hospitals is pretty good, in event of emergency. Pack some food/snacks (hygiene can be poor) and medication for morning sickness if it comes up.
    Otherwise go for it...it's really not as remote as you'd think...in the Dry season.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live remote and my recommendation is DO IT! It's an amazing experience!
    However, the food hygiene won't be great, and definitely check that bottled water will be available OR boil your water before you drink it. The water is primarily rain water from open cut mine shafts up here so it's best to be safe. If you're eating the camp food, as in the food that the indigenous women are cooking, you'll be right as rain. Fresh roo meat cooked over an open fire etc it will be cooked properly, and the Roos up here don't tend to have parasites and stuff. Plenty of women do it rough out bush at any stage of pregnancy, you will regret t if you pass this opportunity by

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CluckyChook For This Useful Post:

Radio  (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If it were me I wouldn't go until I crossed that 12 week 'mostly safe' mark. If something goes wrong (touchwood - hope it doesn't) and you need a hand you will be a long way from help.

I'm a paranoid pessimist though, so don't know how much my view would be backed by medical fact.
    I agree with this.

While I think if you're sensible it would be low risk, for me personally, if a miscarriage were to happen I would rather have access to a shower and proper toilet facilities, medical personnel if needed etc.

In saying that, it sounds like such an amazing opportunity and would be hard to pass up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally if I was questioning it as much as you seem to be, I'd cancel.

It does sound pretty awesome, I can see why it would be tough to cancel.