Blocked Tear Duct | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Blocked Tear Duct

Hi all,

It would appear my almost 3 month old has a blocked tear duct as the discharge has not cleared up despite my attempts to help it (breastmilk in the eye and cool boiled water wipes).

The Dr mentioned at our 6 week check up that is it had not cleared by 3 months to come back. Has anyone had this and able to give me a heads up on what they may do? This is baby #5 and the first time we have had this.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My daughter had it. It eventually went on its own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS had it from birth. It lasted quite a long time. It was quite severe. We had to clean his Eyes at night feed otherwise he couldn't open it. It cleared up Just before 3 months. Nothing helped. Then it happened to the other eyes. It cleared up on its own. We tried the eye drop because GP thought it was infection.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Beljane  (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS1 had it and it hadnt cleared up and we are had his opened under GA. They wont do anything until 12months as until then they wont do anything because there is a chance it will open fully on its own

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS had it pretty persistently until my CHN showed me how to stretch open the tear duct. Basically clean your hands, squirt breastmilk in the inner corner and then use your finger to gently press down and massage in a tiny circle and then pull/swipe down towards the nose. Does that make sense? You do it really gently. It worked I think within a week. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Blocked Tear Duct

Like redcreamingsoda my DD1 had a blocked tear duct for months and it wasn't until I was shown how to massage next to and down from the tear duct that it cleared almost instantly. No issues since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All 3 of my boys have had blocked ducts ds1 grew out of his ds2 had to have it probed under general anaesthetic just after he turned 1 and ds3 is now 5 months and still has it in one eye. I will get a referral if it hasn't cleared around 9-10 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My first had it. Cleared around 3 months.