+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nursing strike

My nearly 12 month old has been on a nursing strike since midnight.. at first bit me when i offered then flat out refused to try. She has always been demand fed and eats a varied diet of solids... she had gotten down to a feed in the morning before each nap and before bed....

She doesnt take a dummy and has never had a bottle.. she has always been settled for bed with a breastfeed.... today she only napped once and that was because she fell asleep in the car.... its bedtime and she wont take the breast and is screaming... doesnt want to be held.... i dont know what to do....

Contributing factors.... could have some teeth coming through, has a snotty nose & in a leap.....

I feel so.... umm inadequate (i guess thats the right word)..

This sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's a pretty sucky combination of factors.

I'm hoping that she's asleep by now... but if not, have you tried some panadol/nurofen for the teeth? If she doesn't want to be held, maybe try putting her in the cot and patting/rubbing her back/belly. Sing some songs quietly. Twinkle twinkle and it's raining it's pouring usually work to calm DS. He likes to dance, too; it often makes him drowzy if I do a slow waltz. Try just a drink of water to help her settle? Could your partner try to get her to sleep? She might be frustrated - both wanting the boob and not wanting it must be confusing for her.

Don't feel inadequate. They do this sometimes. My DS has done this before, and for the last 3 days he's virtually been attached to the boob while he's been sick.

If none of that works, let us know and I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe a sore throat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband is luckily home (he is fifo) and after i put her in her cot with her still screaming he went in and cuddled her walking on the spot... which settled her enough to go to sleep...

Im going to keep hand expressing to keep supply up...

It was just all so sudden.. i guess im afraid of a repeat of my sons weaning at 10 months...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    Maybe a sore throat?
    She is guzzling water fine and drank some expressed milk from a cup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hand expressing is a good idea.

Story to keep your spirits up - DS had a sudden refusal of the boob too, around the same age. He got over it after about 3 days. Never figured out what it was that started it. I ended up offering at a different time than I usually would, out of desperation because I was so sore. He ended up taking it then. And ever since he's been back to being a booby monster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a bad combination with teething, sickness etc. You could try a dream feed to keep your supply up? The only thing I can suggest is distraction - if it's still continuing in the morning. Face bub towards the TV to feed or get hubby to blow some bubbles. Hopefully it won't last long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also a bath together would sometimes encourage my bub to feed. Nice and relaxed - it must be very frustrating for you both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Hand expressing is a good idea.

Story to keep your spirits up - DS had a sudden refusal of the boob too, around the same age. He got over it after about 3 days. Never figured out what it was that started it. I ended up offering at a different time than I usually would, out of desperation because I was so sore. He ended up taking it then. And ever since he's been back to being a booby monster.
    Thank you.. glad it all turned out well for you... fingers are crossed here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybambino View Post
    Also a bath together would sometimes encourage my bub to feed. Nice and relaxed - it must be very frustrating for you both.
    I tried a shower with her today... was too interested in wiping the shower screen!