+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Haven't you already posted this? Have you reported the facility?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Haven't you already posted this? Have you reported the facility?
    I'm in a bit of a pickle with this. I don't want to go behind my lecturer's back and report the place and I don't know if its my place to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would speak up, especially as you feel quite upset by it all. Not to mention the poor elderly people there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I'm in a bit of a pickle with this. I don't want to go behind my lecturer's back and report the place and I don't know if its my place to do that.
    I would absolutely report them. You sound very caring- so surely you know that resident's have rights for safe care, and that they have the right to dignity and respect... but following on from that- we have the responsibility to advocate for our residents when their rights are being neglected. From what you have posted, this is elder abuse. If you fail to report it, you are failing in your residents and contributing towards this abuse. Sorry if this is harsh, but if what you are saying is accurate, something MUST be done. If you are witnessing this- then yes, it is your place to report it.

Also in your OP- do you mean that a resident is kicking staff, or are the staff kicking a resident?? If it is the latter, that is reportable to the police.

As for where do you go from here... have you told your lecturer? Have you met the DON of the facility and are they open to reporting? I'm pretty sure I had a chat to the DDON on my placement about some concerns I had. Nothing bad came of it except for better care for my residents, which is my #1 priority.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Sairz  (06-06-2016),Tinkers  (03-06-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Is the lecturer blocking you ? Have you spoken to your lecturer about what you have seen? They should be supporting you to make the report. If your lecturer won't support you then do it yourself, and speak to the faculty head.

The residents are vulnerable and many don't have a voice. Please speak for them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (03-06-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Report please. Speak up for those who can't speak up for themselves.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You must report this, if you don't then watching this behaviour and not doing anything about it is as bad as doing it. This is called elder abuse and means mandatory reporting.

I'm sorry I know you're only learning and it's a sucky situation to be in but imagine if this was your loved one. I know you're scared but these residents must be petrified in their own home. Do this for them

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Report them now. You can surely change your placement to somewhere more suitable. My dad used to work for one home here in SA. He never saw anything like that at all. My late G'ma was in there until she passed and we where all happy with the way she was treated, dignity and respect. Sounds like this place just want to take their money each fortnight and not care about the residents. But on the other hands what are the children of these residents doing about their mums and dads living in such bad conditions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please report. What if this is where your grandparents lived?