+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Aged care working

My God. Never in my life did I imagine this is what aged care would be like.
    I'm in my 2nd of 4 weeks work experience at a residential facility and I'm appalled at the standard of care that is given to these people.
    -Abuse of residents...kicking, restraining, forceful when showering
    -boardom of residents...they literally sit around and only move (or get moved) for meals
    -lack or respect and dignity...being told they smell when they have been incontinent in front of the whole room, left in soiled clothes and faces not wiped after meals, woken up by barging in without knocking and the lights turn on and pulled out of bed
    -lack of empowerment and independence-not being asked what they what to eat/wear/even sit and just being served food and being force fed
    -dirty and unsanitary conditions-floors with faeces on it behind beds, stains on carpet, ripped sheets/towels/pillows
    -residents not having teeth/denture cleaned or being prompted to clean teeth

I'm shocked. I cannot believe people are living like this. Staff don't care, they don't engage residents or even greet them at all sometimes. The stand around talking to each other (socially) rather than talking to residents.

It makes me so sad and angry then sad all over again. I honestly don't know how I'm going to survive the next 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That makes me want to cry 😢

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's horrible.
    Can you report the facility?

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (03-06-2016),KitiK  (05-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-06-2016),Tiny Dancer  (03-06-2016),TreeGirl  (03-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds appalling. There is little excuse for what you describe, but we should acknowledge that aged care workers get paid an absolute pittance, and are required to do very little training. The sector has an enormous turnover rate, leading to a lack of long term , committed staff. When we start to pay wages that recognise the quality of employee and of training that is *actually* required to do this kind of job, we will go some way to getting the type of skilled, empathic and professional aged care workforce that our aged friends and family members need. That WE may well need in the future.
    Pay better, get better.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (05-06-2016),BettyW  (03-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    This sounds appalling. There is little excuse for what you describe, but we should acknowledge that aged care workers get paid an absolute pittance, and are required to do very little training. The sector has an enormous turnover rate, leading to a lack of long term , committed staff. When we start to pay wages that recognise the quality of employee and of training that is *actually* required to do this kind of job, we will go some way to getting the type of skilled, empathic and professional aged care workforce that our aged friends and family members need. That WE may well need in the future.
    Pay better, get better.
    I agree but many of the staff there have been there for 4/5/10 years only a few ive spoken to have been there less than a year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had to leave my job. It didn't matter where I worked. Now I'm wanting to work in management instead. The system is ****ed. I visit my grandma daily.

Someone told my grandma she couldn't have the paper delivered um ***** please yes she can! I'm the cow that comes in and is your worse night mare 😁

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (05-06-2016),VicPark  (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I believe unfortunately this is all too common in some of these facilities.

My bestie used to work in aged care until she finally had to leave due to a work related back injury. She was one of the good ones who truly cared for the residents, but many of her colleagues were cold and jaded.

I was invited to visit her at work one day (she worked in the dementia ward) and when she started her shift an elderly man had been severely sunburned as he'd had a fall outside and was laying on the ground unattended for a couple of hours on a hot summer day My heart broke for this poor old vulnerable gent. It wasn't as if he wandered off somewhere out of sight - he was out in a courtyard close to the building.

I can't imagine having to work somewhere that had such little regard for other humans. It must be really tough to see

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't give up on the industry. It needs people like you! When you have finished your study work for an agency for a while and then you will get to see lots of facilities and find one with a good standard and philosophy of care. I worked at a great place for a few years. The building looked old and cr@ppy but it ended up being wonderful to the residents. (Tbh I did find some of the staff difficult to get along with but I managed). Good luck. X

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (05-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-06-2016),VicPark  (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Aged care working

What you described is not the norm and completely wrong.
    Restraints are illegal.
    Dirty facilities are not acceptable.
    Please report the facility - you can do so through the aged care complaints commission and they will do an unannounced visit to the facility.

Complete your work experience there and get a job somewhere else.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (03-06-2016),KitiK  (05-06-2016),Tiny Dancer  (03-06-2016),VicPark  (05-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Pay better, get better.
    Yes but just because the dont get paid a high rate doesnt give them the ok to do a sh1t job.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-06-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (06-06-2016),KitiK  (05-06-2016),PipersMummy  (05-06-2016),VicPark  (05-06-2016)