+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I called yesterday to find out the exact amount I had declared in total they said that it doesn't directly link with the ato or something which is how some people get away with it for years and years... I don't know... Surely they communicate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AceOfBase View Post
    My MIL was in this situation, she just paid back the money,no jail, so I'm hoping it should be the same for you too
    Was hers for single parenting payment or another payment? I'm so worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    You have done the right thing, besides, even if you didn't ring, I think they would of eventually caught up with you. Your not a criminal.
    well, technically... I am a criminal... Doing what I've done is a criminal offence. I understand why she was so rude on the phone, I get it.. I'm just trying to make amends and hoping and praying I can just do the right thing and move forward.

And absolutely I know they would have caught up eventually. I know people though who have been fraudulently declaring and reporting for a long time and not been caught years later... It puzzles me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Centrelink fraud.. Will I go to jail?

I know it's not the same but I had a $14,000 debt due to an admin error. I had to go to a tribunal which was held over the phone and it turns out it was their fault.

At no time was jail mentioned. I spoke to a social worker at Centrelink and could prove my case

My point is please don't worry about jail. It's not going to happen

You can always ring and talk to a social worker at Centrelink if you need to

All that will happen is once you lodge a tax return the ATO will have your income and Centrelink will know this and you will have a debt which you will pay back . Just set up a payment plan with them.

Please try not to worry. You aren't a criminal
    Last edited by Louise41; 02-06-2016 at 17:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I know it's not the same but I had a $14 k debt due to an admin error. I had to go to a tribunal which was held over the phone and it turns out it was a Centrelink admin error.

At no time was jail mentioned. I spoke to a social worker at Centrelink and could prove my case

My point is please don't worry about jail. It's not going to happen

You can always ring and talk to a social worker at Centrelink if you need to
    wow that would have been worrying for you at the time being faced with that!!
    I guess in reality all I can do is sit and wait and see what comes of it all. I just feel like a **** human being.

I saw my gp a few months ago to talk to her about getting a referral for free counselling sessions and she fobbed me off and said basically the wait list is so long and my problems aren't that bad to warrant being sent to him, so she referred me to a paid psych who I just cannot afford to see. I'm at my wits end with everything and just not sure where to start to sort my life out. Im such a mess emotionally I just don't know strategies of where to start.
    I guess I'm going off on a tangent from the OP. Sorry. Just getting things off my chest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by embarassedandstressed11 View Post
    I under declared fortnightly for single parenting payment so am so worried this is "worse"..... I don't know I just feel so awful.
    look what you did wasn't fantastic but the person sitting at the other end is a person too, they have a heart. clearly you're not proud of what you've done and only did it out of desperation. I think if things did escalate and they throw the book at you, plead your case and say you're incredibly remorseful, but that putting food on the table and a roof over your child's head was the priority.

you're hardly a violent criminal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't need a referral to speak to / see a Centrelink social worker. Just call in and request one to call you to make an appt .. I have dealt with them prior to my debt due to another issue and they were great.

Can you get a mental health assessment done from your GP and get a referral to a Medicare paid psychologist to have a chat ? Won't cost you a cent to see one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    I thought Centrelink and the ATO communicate and they find out all income, profits and loss and then send you a letter.

Don't be scared.
    They certainly do. At the end of the tax year your tax assessment gets sent to Centrelink so they can balance your payments and release the supplement. In our case we are self employed and don't declare during the year so this once a year contact between the 2 is made and I get a lump sum payment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Take a deep breath and a step back from the situation.
    Yes what you did was the wrong thing. BUT as it was done starting september and you have now rung them to clear it up and are trying to fix the situation I would be surprised if they decided to lock you up in jail for less than $5000. You are now doing the right thing and will get back on track.

As for your gp either get a new one or tell them you would like the medicare health assessment. The gp will ask you a few questions and then should write up a referal for you to get 10 free sessions. I found them really helpful
    Big hugs to you and hope it gets sorted quickly for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    You don't need a referral to speak to / see a Centrelink social worker. Just call in and request one to call you to make an appt .. I have dealt with them prior to my debt due to another issue and they were great.

Can you get a mental health assessment done from your GP and get a referral to a Medicare paid psychologist to have a chat ? Won't cost you a cent to see one

sorry - yes this is what I did, the mental health assessment.. The one where the doc asks like 10 questions. The first time I did it she gave me a contact number for a helpline but I never called because I didn't want to have to repeat my story each time as it's quite traumatic.
    The second time she basically said the wait list is so long and referred me to a paid psych/counsellor even though I said I cannot afford it etc. this was for the 10 free sessions I'd heard about from a friend.

Maybe I should try again and see another doctor.