+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Did anyone bother to read the bit where all she had to do was ensure they were still alive? And that they would be out with their friends for half the time? My kids are all independent...can do everything on their own, just not quite old enough to be left home by themselves.
    And the homework (took 20 minutes btw), was the only thing that she had to actually do. She sat and did her own homework, and played with our dog.
    Oh, and last little fact...I asked her how much and she said she had asked her friends at school what they get, and given how little she did $20 was plenty...and I said no, I wasn't paying her that little. She absolutely loved babysitting, wants to do it more regularly.
    She was happy as, and stayed for an extra half an hour just to chat cause she was enjoying herself so much.
    At 16 I would have hated to babysit...but we knew that she was hoping to get babysitting work...and it's her first job. I assure you she would have worked a lot harder if she'd been working at Macca's, and she doesn't need to pay tax on her $10 an hour.
    If she has more responsibility, we'll pay her more. But for what she actually had to do yesterday, it was enough.
    Thanks for all your lovely, thoughtful words though 😎
    That's great! Sounds like she loved it. Whenever there is a thread on here like "should I trust a 16 year old to babysit?" The answer is always "depends on the child". Some 16 year olds would hate babysitting, others thrive on the responsibility & love it. I was babysitting from 13 & I absolutely loved it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Full House  (03-06-2016),RaiensDreaming  (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about having a chat to her parents about it and see if they are happy with that amount.
    I would have happily been paid that amount at 16 but that was awhile ago so thins have changed in expectations.
    If everyone is happy I don't think it matters how much you pay them. It's yours and I'm saying the parents just so they are in the loop decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 girls 1 boy View Post
    What about having a chat to her parents about it and see if they are happy with that amount.
    I would have happily been paid that amount at 16 but that was awhile ago so thins have changed in expectations.
    If everyone is happy I don't think it matters how much you pay them. It's yours and I'm saying the parents just so they are in the loop decision
    Originally when I asked I told them to talk with her and set the price. We did this with their son, as he takes care of our lawn for us. When I asked about babysitting the parents offered to have them at their house for free, but we wanted to offer their daughter to babysit because we know she wants work. I suspect that they were the ones who said $20, but we are neighbours, we talk regularly so I'll ask.

I think the babysitter loved it...she specifically told us her availability...which excludes Fri and Sat night so she can go to her parties πŸ˜‚ Oh to be young again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How much do you pay their son and how long does it take to mow the lawn?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Originally when I asked I told them to talk with her and set the price. We did this with their son, as he takes care of our lawn for us. When I asked about babysitting the parents offered to have them at their house for free, but we wanted to offer their daughter to babysit because we know she wants work. I suspect that they were the ones who said $20, but we are neighbours, we talk regularly so I'll ask.

I think the babysitter loved it...she specifically told us her availability...which excludes Fri and Sat night so she can go to her parties πŸ˜‚ Oh to be young again!
    The j think it's fair if everyone is happy with it who cares what others think. As long as she is happy her parents are happy and you then it's ok

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2 girls 1 boy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (03-06-2016),Full House  (03-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    How much do you pay their son and how long does it take to mow the lawn?
    We pay him the amount he asked for πŸ˜‰ We don't pay by the hour because he is very slow so he set the amount and everyone involved is happy πŸ˜†

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default How much for a teen babysitter?

Did anyone bother to read the bit where all she had to do was ensure they were still alive? And that they would be out with their friends for half the time? My kids are all independent...can do everything on their own, just not quite old enough to be left home by themselves.
    And the homework (took 20 minutes btw), was the only thing that she had to actually do. She sat and did her own homework, and played with our dog.
    Oh, and last little fact...I asked her how much and she said she had asked her friends at school what they get, and given how little she did $20 was plenty...and I said no, I wasn't paying her that little. She absolutely loved babysitting, wants to do it more regularly.
    She was happy as, and stayed for an extra half an hour just to chat cause she was enjoying herself so much.
    At 16 I would have hated to babysit...but we knew that she was hoping to get babysitting work...and it's her first job. I assure you she would have worked a lot harder if she'd been working at Macca's, and she doesn't need to pay tax on her $10 an hour.
    If she has more responsibility, we'll pay her more. But for what she actually had to do yesterday, it was enough.
    Thanks for all your lovely, thoughtful words though 😎
    Why did you ask what the going rate was if you didn't want to hear what people had to say?

When it comes to kids there is no 'simplicity' in ensuring they are still alive. Just look at the Gorilla thread - terrible things happen to the *allegedly* best, most observant parents.

IMO it doesn't matter that she was happy with $20. I still don't consider $30 to be the going rate or reasonable.

If she's happy with it though and accepts the offer that's on her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why did you ask what the going rate was if you didn't want to hear what people had to say?
    I asked for a general idea so I could have a ball park figure of what was okay. The thread only gained real interest after I said I'd paid her.

And actually...yeah, it is simple to ensure my kids stay alive. They'rebig kids...big kids who are more than capable of keeping themselves alive, actually...just might forget to not answer the door if someone turned up, or might not behave appropriately if they all got in a big fight. They're the only reasons I had a babysitter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default How much for a teen babysitter?

I didn't reply earlier because I didn't see the thread and I admit I read whole thread after my first post but I still believe $10 hour is stingy. I would pay someone more to look after my kids. It's a much bigger responsibility than serving fast food. And $45 would have been the least I would pay a 16 year old for 3 hours looking after 3 kids.

Are your kids in high school? I wouldn't exactly call primary school kids "big kids"

But at the end of the day, you're happy, the parents are happy and the babysitter is happy. Win, win!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 03-06-2016 at 17:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a qualified childcare worker and my first job in a centre I was getting paid $10 an hour. This was 9 years ago and i was 19 years old. Up until I had my daughter 6 years ago I'd babysit and charge $15 hr... thats a qualified 20 something year old with a first aid cert and blue card. It didn't feel right taking more especially when it was mostly nights and the kids were sleeping. I think $10 an hr is more then reasonable for a 16 yr old. Sounds like a great arrangement you have there OP!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Full House  (04-06-2016)