+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Counselling techniques- physiological development and psychopathologies

I am stuck..

I need to write a report on "counselling techniques that may be used during the different stages of physiological development and for different psychopathologies including personality disorders."

There is zero information in my course material that actually addresses this. I have spent the past two hours googling and I cant find any definitive information.

Any opinions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What course are you studying?

I am just about finished a psychology degree and there is a stack of scientific research on this.

Do you have access to a library?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's very confusing and vague wording.. Do they mean psychological development? Have you asked your course coordinator for more direction?
    In terms of personality disorders, DBT or dialectical behavioural therapy is a well known one. But there are so many therapies out there it would be better to have some more direction before you answer. If your institution has an online library it would be worth doing a search there as information on Google isn't necessarily valid. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Counselling techniques- physiological development and psychopathologies

Are you studying a degree course at university? If you can't find any information in your course material to help you write your report then I would be very concerned. I don't think google or BubHub is the place to be doing research😏

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    What course are you studying?

I am just about finished a psychology degree and there is a stack of scientific research on this.

Do you have access to a library?
    Sorry to thread hijack but how did you did you find the degree? I need a career change and this is one topic I am actually keen to study. What's putting me off is that it's a 4 year degree plus 2 year internship. Not sure if my finances can handle 6 years out of the workforce. Do you get paid for the internship?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Sorry to thread hijack but how did you did you find the degree? I need a career change and this is one topic I am actually keen to study. What's putting me off is that it's a 4 year degree plus 2 year internship. Not sure if my finances can handle 6 years out of the workforce. Do you get paid for the internship?
    I have three units to go, so will graduate end of this year. It is not so bad, but takes time and is very theoretical. There are not a lot of practical skills until third year.

I am sure you know that you need to get into honours, which means a GPA over 6 depending on where you go. I find this the most stressful and is really playing with my head and confidence this year.

If you can find a place in an internship they are paid, although to fulfill the requirements for the lifespan component it is not so easy to find a supervised position. I have heard a lot of graduates are having issues getting supervised positions after honours.

My plan is to go into research, but I have a plan B, C, D and E.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Without knowing anything about the particular course/unit you're studying, I'd interpret the question either as asking about multiple counselling techniques that can be used at different stages of life (from small children to adults) and with different disorders - so briefly discuss different types of therapy eg cognitive behaviour, acceptance and commitment, interpersonal, dialectical behaviour, play therapy, brief solution focussed etc and when/why each would be used OR you could pick maybe two counselling techniques that can be applied to a broad range of ages and presenting issues and discuss how the application of these therapies differ as the age/presenting concern changes. It's hard to know without knowing exactly what your assessment is asking. I'd definitely clarify with your lecturer. Or do you have friends in the course you can ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    @babyno1onboard, the internship is when you secure a (paid) job after your degree but work under supervision from a registered psych. You have to complete certain things in that two year period as set out by the psychology board of Australia, and pass an exam at the end to become fully registered. Some workplaces provide supervision, others don't and then it's up to you to find a psych to supervise you privately (and pay for it yourself - or negotiate to split costs with your work).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you!

Wow! I didn't expect to get such a response! Thanks guys 😊 Some of the information does help, but as a few of you have said the information should be in the course material and it isn't which is a bit worrying.

I'm studying a Diploma in community services online, and the trainers take days to get back to me with stuff like this. I might just keep calling until I can get a more specific direction and then refer back to some suggestions here to get the thought process moving.

Re career and study options; have a look around at entry requirements for some different Grad Certs and Masters. Some of them you can get into without a Bachelors but with a Diploma or Advanced Diploma. Just be sure that the final degree is accredited with the relevant regulatory authority.

I found a MUCH quicker pathway into a degree that I want to be doing - and this Diploma is it. It takes of 2.5 years OFF my study by going this route!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ShannonRH For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (03-06-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So do they mean counseling approaches like cognitive behavioural therapy vs narrative therapy etc?