+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnancy irritability or just an easy excuse?

I'm generally not a moody person, in that you don't have to worry I'll be snappy or grumpy with you unless you deserve it haha! The only time I can get unnecessarily irritable is when I'm tired and things add up to cause me to overreact.

Last night my husband said the dreaded words to me 'is this just pregnancy irritability or something?' Well we all know those are words no woman wants to hear when they are growing a human for someone else! I was so annoyed and insulted! My question is, am I extra irritable and don't realise it or am I just extra sensitive to being understood and heard? Or is my husband using that as an excuse for anything he does that would make anyone get annoyed?

He's generally not a nasty person and has been so caring and kind to me. This really hurt me because I have helped him through a lot of stress at work recently and I just feel he needs to show some sensitivity back.

Keep reading for context: Gist of the saga is that I offered to pop by the shops to pick up some extras for dinner on my way home do he could get home and start dinner - I commute 45min by train and drive home from the station, he drives 10min to work. He ended up sending me a list of a whole basket full of groceries including milk for his office and I was exhausted after a long day at work! I asked him to start dinner and when I got home he hadn't because he didn't read my message properly and said it didn't matter because it would only take 5 min. My point was that I was doing all this running around and hoped he could help with finishing up dinner when I got home instead of still having to cook the part I expected to be done already leaving me to have to help. Maybe I was a bit hangry but the pregnancy mood comment just made me lose it! I'm happy to take accountability for overreacting but feel his comment was so uncalled for and want him to understand that.
    Last edited by MrsVZ; 02-06-2016 at 07:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My husband and I had an unwritten rule that we know I'm a bit more testy while pregnant. He knows it, I know it, everyone knows it... We just don't say it. He doesn't say "it's the hormones" or anything to that affect.

In your example, that it something that while pregnant I might have snapped at him about but not during pregnancy, I would have just rolled my eyes and that was it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It seems like a small misunderstanding. In normal circumstances. But yes, pregnancy hormones tend to make us a little more sensitive. If this is your 1st your DH was probably a bit WTF? He does not understand that you will find that comment insulting (you probably would not if you were not pregnant). Just tell him that you may seem irrational/cranky/irritable to him but he needs to be patient as this is normal.

We are growing humans. We are tired. Our hormones are crazy. We can be more stressed/worried.

But oh so normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, good to get an objective view on it. It is completely tiny and silly I agree. Think I need to explain what you've said to DH and just ask him to brush it off for a bit if I overreact and try help where he can so I don't get easily irritated. I'm absolutely fine at work etc and I think it's often easy to take it out on your other half because they're there at the end of the day and you feel like they should understand. I've been on the receiving end often and I know it's not pleasant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsVZ View Post
    Thanks guys, good to get an objective view on it. It is completely tiny and silly I agree. Think I need to explain what you've said to DH and just ask him to brush it off for a bit if I overreact and try help where he can so I don't get easily irritated. I'm absolutely fine at work etc and I think it's often easy to take it out on your other half because they're there at the end of the day and you feel like they should understand. I've been on the receiving end often and I know it's not pleasant.
    That's exactly it. Your spouse is like your "safe place" so you are more likely to let down in front of them and they cop it.
    Don't feel bad about it, you will both find the best way to navigate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My user name is preggasaurus.. It's for a reason...

Picture a Tyrannosaurus rex, now picture it angry, really angry, irrationally angry... Picture it roaring, screaming, thrashing its head from side to side, growling and roaring and attempting to eat some people.

Now, imagine that those people are a toddler and a terrified ex husband, that's me when I'm pregnant.

Hence, my ex husband named me preggasaurus, it stuck. It's my user name, and I still to this day, have no idea why I cannot control my emotions or anger or frustration, irritability while pregnant.

I'm not an emotional person at all now. Just while pregnant.. Lol!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-06-2016),HillDweller  (02-06-2016),JustJaq  (02-06-2016),SoniaParks  (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    My user name is preggasaurus.. It's for a reason...

Picture a Tyrannosaurus rex, now picture it angry, really angry, irrationally angry... Picture it roaring, screaming, thrashing its head from side to side, growling and roaring and attempting to eat some people.

Now, imagine that those people are a toddler and a terrified ex husband, that's me when I'm pregnant.

Hence, my ex husband named me preggasaurus, it stuck. It's my user name, and I still to this day, have no idea why I cannot control my emotions or anger or frustration, irritability while pregnant.

I'm not an emotional person at all now. Just while pregnant.. Lol!
    I'm in hysterics thinking about you as a t-rex, with tiny arms.... Sorry t-Rex's get me every time.

Eg. How does a T-Rex make a bed, or brush it's teeth. Sorry... Off on a tangent!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (02-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    I'm in hysterics thinking about you as a t-rex, with tiny arms.... Sorry t-Rex's get me every time.

Eg. How does a T-Rex make a bed, or brush it's teeth. Sorry... Off on a tangent!
    Now all I see in my head is Rex from toy story trying to do things with his short arms.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-06-2016),HillDweller  (02-06-2016),preggasaurus  (02-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Now all I see in my head is Rex from toy story trying to do things with his short arms.
    Stop! Why do I find this so funny

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (02-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was nearly psychotic during both pregnancies. It does crazy things to me and I'm an emotional wreck. I cried during nappy commercials FFS 😕