+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    ok so this has been bothering me for a while.

when labour with ds started, my waters broke at home on their own. I went into the hospital as instructed by the midwife on duty when I phoned as they wanted to check if there was meconium in the waters. there was, and i was told I wasn't able to go home and labour and instead had to be kept in for ctg monitoring.

this was totally disappointing to me and upsetting when I think back to my birth experience. I've made peace with the fact I had an emergency cs but the fact that the whole labour was marred with the ctg monitoring upsets me.

I was hoping for a water birth (in the birth pool) but was told this was not possible as my membranes had ruptured and there was a risk of infection.

I've just read another hubber's birth diary and she's described how her waters broke yet she was able to have a water birth.

have I been jipped? is what I was told true? or does each hospital/birthing facility have their own guidelines?

don't get me wrong, I'm so thankful ds is here and arrived safely, but I just wonder why I was subjected to the degree of monitoring that I was and why a delivery in the birthing pool was not possible.
    Haven't read the other replies so I'm sorry if this has already been said, but you can have a water birth and also labour in water after membranes rupture..

I did with my first son. Waters broke at midnight and I spent much of the following 6 hours in the bath.

However when I had #2 there was meconium and the nurses insisted on constant monitoring, which wasn't possible with labouring in the bath.

This time around I'm going to a different hospital and I've been told by my ob that they have wireless waterproof monitoring equipment so you can still have a water birth with the monitoring.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks @witherwings

do you mind if I ask if you're going public or private with this pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    thanks @witherwings

do you mind if I ask if you're going public or private with this pregnancy?
    Private at the San - they do lots of water births. My previous hospital for both boys was north shore private and my ob there didn't allow water births at all. I'm not sure if that was a hospital policy or just his. Although they do have baths to labour in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just adding my story here... I had a planned water birth at the Mater in Brisbane. Birth was fast and furious and waters broke almost immediately before my body started pushing... The waters had meconium all through them. Yikes!! I freaked out a fair bit and I think the midwife did too....(as much as a professional midwife can!) as she reached in and grabbed baby from the water to pas her to me, whereas water births are usually completely 'hands off'. I was only 40+2 so not over by much at all. As I was so close to birthing I wasn't asked to leave the pool. I would be have been able to anyway as my body was convulsing pushing a baby out!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (05-06-2016)