+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought the distress occurs due to swallowing the meconium - I did not realize that apparently they poop due to distress...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    thanks ladies. I was told when waters break there's a time restriction on how long you can labour...the risk of infection is there because the waters have broken and bub is no longer in a sterile environment. although how sterile is it of bub is pooping in there!?

ok so for those ladies whose membranes ruptured but that did go on to have a water birth, was the water checked for meconium?

mine was checked and after it was confirmed meconium was present, I was put on ctg monitoring. bubs hb kept decelerating then fixing itself, maybe this was the reason for the continued monitoring?
    Yep, so my waters broke at the hospital and my midwife looked to check they were clear. This was with my DS.

As for the ctg, I had similar with my DD, who i had first at a different hospital whose policy is to monitor as soon as you arrive. She kept having declerations so i never got off the monitor which had impacts in my labour and delivery I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I thought the distress occurs due to swallowing the meconium - I did not realize that apparently they poop due to distress...
    I think what you're referring to is meconium aspiration syndrome?? I thought it was to do with bub inhaling/swallowing the meconium and strife ensues from there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I vaguely remember the doctor taking a blood sample from my dd's head while I was in labour with her to check for signs of distress. To which none was found.. I had a lot of intervention so I could be mistaken. I had meconnium when my waters broke, but thinking she was smack bang on 40 weeks & mostly likely it was her first poo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what you're referring to is meconium aspiration syndrome?? I thought it was to do with bub inhaling/swallowing the meconium and strife ensues from there?
    Yes!

Just did a google (as you do) and read that it happens due to distress. I never knew.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meconium in the waters means the baby has been stressed at some stage and so have opened their bowels. It's an indication they may not be happy anymore - @turquoisecoast with your scenario this means mec stained waters indicates distress, that lead to monitoring which then showed Bub was still stressed (dropping its heart rate) and that would normally lead to a csec if it's over a prolonged period of time. A baby can compensate for so long but most private hospitals have strict protocols when mec is involved plus decelerations (drop of heart rate). It is normally an indication that baby is not happy.

The monitors they normally use - some can go in the water, some can't so that influences labour plans a lot.

Hope this helps

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Excited1 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Excited1 View Post
    Meconium in the waters means the baby has been stressed at some stage and so have opened their bowels. It's an indication they may not be happy anymore - @turquoisecoast with your scenario this means mec stained waters indicates distress, that lead to monitoring which then showed Bub was still stressed (dropping its heart rate) and that would normally lead to a csec if it's over a prolonged period of time. A baby can compensate for so long but most private hospitals have strict protocols when mec is involved plus decelerations (drop of heart rate). It is normally an indication that baby is not happy.

The monitors they normally use - some can go in the water, some can't so that influences labour plans a lot.

Hope this helps
    thanks, that's very helpful.

I wonder why my bub was in distress. I thought it was just labour that caused him to go into distress but obviously he'd been that way for a little while if he'd opened his bowels.

yeah my monitors definitely weren't water friendly. they took them off a few times at my request after bubs was showing regular hb for a while so I could go in the shower for pain relief.

after I had the epidural (after contractions fizzled and I was given the syntocin drip to bring things back on again), that's when his hb decels really became more consistent and it was decided a cs was probably the best course of action. I could see the midwives were getting concerned and that worried me so I was happy to just get him out safely by that stage.

hated all the intervention...the monitoring, the drip, the epidural because the drip made the contractions come all at once and I wasn't getting a break at all, the culmination of it all in emergency cs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks, that's very helpful.

I wonder why my bub was in distress. I thought it was just labour that caused him to go into distress but obviously he'd been that way for a little while if he'd opened his bowels.

yeah my monitors definitely weren't water friendly. they took them off a few times at my request after bubs was showing regular hb for a while so I could go in the shower for pain relief.

after I had the epidural (after contractions fizzled and I was given the syntocin drip to bring things back on again), that's when his hb decels really became more consistent and it was decided a cs was probably the best course of action. I could see the midwives were getting concerned and that worried me so I was happy to just get him out safely by that stage.

hated all the intervention...the monitoring, the drip, the epidural because the drip made the contractions come all at once and I wasn't getting a break at all, the culmination of it all in emergency cs.
    Yep unfortunately sometimes that's what's known as the 'cascade of intervention'. Private hospitals are well known for it unfortunately! Public hospitals tend to have a bit more leeway with their protocols and sit on things a bit longer. Synto drips are hard as they are often required to help labour along but also can stress babies more if already stressed. Catch 22. I can completely understand you just wanting him here safely, it's why most people are OK in the long run having a Caesar.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Excited1 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (02-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know someone who had a similar situation.
    Waters broke at home, went to hospital. Baby had done the meconium inside the womb. Monitoring had to be constant. Heartbeat dropped dangerously low. Emergency cs. Then baby was put on 100% oxygen and moved to a larger hospital via ambulance and ended up in nicu for a week. Both public hospitals.
    Reasons are basically unkown what may stress the baby to do the meconium inside the womb.
    But it can end up serious, hence all the monitoring and no time for things like spas, water births or home births. This substance is like tar, if the baby swallows it, it is really dangerous and can take months to get cleared out, plus some little particles may remain.
    Hope that helps
    Last edited by monroe78; 02-06-2016 at 07:54.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to monroe78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default meconium stained liquor

I am not sure about the water birth side of things, but I had ALOT of meconium with my first. I was told he may be stressed and immediately hooked up to monitoring (public hospital). Heart rate was always fine and I narrowly avoided a cs (my labour had stalled). A pead was present for the birth and When Bub was born they had to immediately take him and pump his stomach but he was fine. I think they just have to take greater precautions with meconium as it can indicate a stressed Bub, and can lead to aspiration.
    Last edited by Patience86; 02-06-2016 at 00:24.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post: