+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hello!

Hi i'm tyler, I have a 2 year old and am 9 weeks pregnant.
    I have been asked by the doctor if I am getting my 16 week scan.. i said no because I thought medicare doesn't cover it. But does it or doesn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats on your pregnancy.
    Do you mean the 18-20 week scan? There's a 12 week scan then an 18-20 week. Some places bulk bill in full others will charge you and you can claim some back from Medicare. I think the later scan is the most important and more indepth, it can prepare you for anything that could be wrong with your baby before birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats on baby No 2. It would also depend if you are going public or private. I went private with No 1 9 yrs ago and it was all bulk billed, no 2 due next month and I've been bulk billed again in private (best doctors ever), I did how ever have to pay for scan at 8 weeks out of pocket to confirm pregnancy in my OB's office.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Medicare cover the 18-20 for everyone, there might be out of pocket, they cover the 12w one for 35yo +. Again might be out of pocket. Personally if u can afford go to oop place as they check more usually than the things Medicare require.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by montannamummy14 View Post
    Hi i'm tyler, I have a 2 year old and am 9 weeks pregnant.
    I have been asked by the doctor if I am getting my 16 week scan.. i said no because I thought medicare doesn't cover it. But does it or doesn't it?
    You can get a scan at 16 weeks to check gender - which may be why the dr asked.

And no it is not covered by Medicare.

But like everyone had said there is one at 12 weeks if you wish to do it. And anatomy scan at 18-20 weeks.