Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In many stores, you are entitled to the item at the price it was displayed for. Even if was the wrong price tag.
    I think the store realised this, why else would they not have been completely upfront with the OP when they realised their error?
    So the OP thought she was getting a great bargain, when in reality paid average price for an average item.

ETA- OP, if you viewed the sterling bracelet with the cheap price tag attached, (I *think*) you are entitled to pay that advertised price. Instead they sneakily swapped it without telling you to avoid selling that item cheaply?
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 01-06-2016 at 20:13.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (01-06-2016),AdornedWithCats  (01-06-2016),BettyW  (01-06-2016),LaDiDah  (01-06-2016),Phony  (01-06-2016),PipersMummy  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yes, we do all make mistakes. The OP can't be sure that the shop deliberately misinformed her. Perhaps someone else in the shop noticed the error, swapped the prices and the lady who served the OP just grabbed the one that was for x amount dollars, knowing that was the price of the one the OP was after. Maybe she didn't, maybe she deliberately omitted to tell her. But none of us can ever know that, including the OP. Whatever happened, the OP got her money back and anything more than that is IMO actually trying to swindle the shop by demanding the more expensive item at the cheaper price. I also believe if the item had been replaced in the display that it was the OP's responsibility to check it was the one she wanted.
    Yep, fair call, I'm glad OP got a refund in the end.

I had a problem at a jewellery store once, made numerous phone calls, etc and got nothing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    In many stores, you are entitled to the item at the price it was displayed for. Even if was the wrong price tag.
    I think the store realised this, why else would they not have been completely upfront with the OP when they realised their error?
    So the OP thought she was getting a great bargain, when in reality paid average price for an average item.

ETA- OP, if you viewed the sterling bracelet with the cheap price tag attached, (I *think*) you are entitled to pay that advertised price. Instead they sneakily swapped it without telling you to avoid selling that item cheaply?
    I didn't think that they had to? As in I don't think it is in consumer law/legislation.

I am curious though so may see if I can find something.

So OP did you view a different price on the bracelet on the day you tried on vs the day you went back?

Eta. https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pri...playing-prices

There is a section that kinda is relevant and it seems like they are not required to sell an item at a lower amount if the price is correct at POS. So if it were cheaper at viewing - and they noticed an error and amended before selling then they are allowed. As far as I understand. I am not a lawyer so it may be interpreted differently. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by twinklify; 01-06-2016 at 20:22.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (01-06-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post

No I don't think that's correct at all. Nobody has the 'right' to buy anything. Any shop can refuse to sell any item- it belongs to them until the transaction is made.
    Some shops may do that as a matter of policy but it's not an entitlement!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I didn't think that they had to? As in I don't think it is in consumer law/legislation.

I am curious though so may see if I can find something.

So OP did you view a different price on the bracelet on the day you tried on vs the day you went back?
    Yeah I wonder if it is an actual legislation? I thought it was, but perhaps it's at the discretion of the store/policy?
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 01-06-2016 at 20:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I don't think they have to either.

Years ago I bought prepaid movie vouchers from Hoyts. There was a massive sign up saying they were x and I was charged y. They said the sign was wrong and the deal had ended. I complained to consumer affairs and I was told the store had no obligation to honour the prominently displayed price if it was incorrect.

Woolies and Coles used to have a scanning guarantee whereby if the item scanned at a different price to the shelf price you could the item free. An incorrect price tag is not the same and the shop are within their rights to fix an error.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't think that's correct at all. Nobody has the 'right' to buy anything. Any shop can refuse to sell any item- it belongs to them until the transaction is made.
    Some shops may do that as a matter of policy but it's not an entitlement!
    Even still, they should have told her. They knew she was expecting to purchase the sterling silver.
    As for wanting more than the refund she received, I agree, there's probably nothing more she's entitled to than her money back.
    I'd definitely not go back, ever. Making a mistake is one thing, being dishonest is another. They knew she looked at the more expensive one as it was put on hold.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yes, we do all make mistakes. The OP can't be sure that the shop deliberately misinformed her. Perhaps someone else in the shop noticed the error, swapped the prices and the lady who served the OP just grabbed the one that was for x amount dollars, knowing that was the price of the one the OP was after. Maybe she didn't, maybe she deliberately omitted to tell her. But none of us can ever know that, including the OP. Whatever happened, the OP got her money back and anything more than that is IMO actually trying to swindle the shop by demanding the more expensive item at the cheaper price. I also believe if the item had been replaced in the display that it was the OP's responsibility to check it was the one she wanted.
    I can't believe you are defending the shop and calling the OP a swindler.

Best case scenario the shop *accidentally* sold the OP a crap bracelet for the same price they *mistakenly* advertised the fancy bracelet for. Thats still pretty crap regardless of whether the OP legally got what she paid for.

I can totally get why the OP was ****ed. The shop are the swindlers in my book.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The "Misleading Advertising" section in that link @twinklify could possibly come into play here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was a recent story of a US chain jewellery store swapping diamonds. Kay Jewellers.

Total $hit. I hope you get your money back or the bracelet you wanted.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast