+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toilet training - help!

So a bit of a vent with a plead for help.

DS is just... frustrating. He turned 3 in March. He used to sit on thr toilet a year ago but did not do anything. He is in childcare 2 days a week. Pretty much refuses to go to the toilet or wear undies at home. If we try and screams, kicks and hits us. At childcare he can be convinced to go. But has multiple accidents. They have told us if he does not get trained he will go down a room. Away from his friends. And he was progressing well so am worried about regression of he went back to his previous room.

I have no idea what to do. We have steps. We do not have a potty though (he had a tantrum in the store). I am too tired with the newborn to deal with the never ending tantrums.

We tried bribes. And I can't just 'wait'. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey twinklify, we had great success with an app called potty training with the animals. It has this crazy video and catchy song that my toddler loved. I just let her watch it on the iPad for a few weeks. When she started getting interested, I made a big deal of saying things like "hmmmm....I don't know....well I suppose you have been a good girl today, so yes you can sit on the toilet as a treat." And then ludicrous amounts of praise when successful and lots of singing the song from the app (damn thing still gets stuck in my head sometimes).
    It seems like an extreme approach for daycare to take....moving him down a room could be really rotten for the poor kid. Could you maybe speak to the Director and ask if they can help you come up with a method that both his carers and you can implement to help him? A double pronged approach might maximise the chances. Poor you....it sounds like he's not ready and you're being forced into it. And with a newborn too! Good luck OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS toilet trained in late feb this year just before he turned 3.

He refused to sit on the toilet so i brought a sturdy potty (baby bjorn brand) and i put it in the lounge room with a bathmat underneath it.

I spent a few days encouraging and rewarding and he seemed to get it really quick and was soon taking himself.

Id def give trying a potty first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver flute View Post
    Hey twinklify, we had great success with an app called potty training with the animals. It has this crazy video and catchy song that my toddler loved. I just let her watch it on the iPad for a few weeks. When she started getting interested, I made a big deal of saying things like "hmmmm....I don't know....well I suppose you have been a good girl today, so yes you can sit on the toilet as a treat." And then ludicrous amounts of praise when successful and lots of singing the song from the app (damn thing still gets stuck in my head sometimes).
    It seems like an extreme approach for daycare to take....moving him down a room could be really rotten for the poor kid. Could you maybe speak to the Director and ask if they can help you come up with a method that both his carers and you can implement to help him? A double pronged approach might maximise the chances. Poor you....it sounds like he's not ready and you're being forced into it. And with a newborn too! Good luck OP.
    With the configuration of the rooms (3yo room and 4yo room) and the number of kids they physically do not have the numbers needed to do nappies. The room they will send him to is next door and has about half the amount of kids. He is one of the youngest kids atm in his room so it will not be too bad but will not have the friends he has been with for the last 2 years.

Atm we can manage to get undies on him at childcare only. But he has accidents. Its home where he refuses more. Actually refuses completely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    My DS toilet trained in late feb this year just before he turned 3.

He refused to sit on the toilet so i brought a sturdy potty (baby bjorn brand) and i put it in the lounge room with a bathmat underneath it.

I spent a few days encouraging and rewarding and he seemed to get it really quick and was soon taking himself.

Id def give trying a potty first
    I will need to buy it in secret. So so bad last time I tried. But I will get one by Saturday at the latest and will try that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought my little man a cute little seat with frogs and beetles on it to encourage him to go potty (he is 9 now). He was 2.5 when I started. Went on holidays for 2 wks to qld so no daycare etc. I said mummy is only taking 14 nappies and lots of new undies (fun ones) for you. Slept in nappies at night only. We came home with 12 of the 14 nappies. Lots of praise and little rewards along the way for him each day. Tried at 18months but he wasn't ready. Maybe he just isn't ready for potty full time yet. Don't stress to much over it though. It all happens in time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. So update. This week at childcare he has done so well - no accidents at all yesterday even in his nap. We managed to get undies on at home before childcare (kicking and screaming) and I managed to get him on the potty when we got home (crying and screaming) but he did his first wee at home on the potty. Too scared of the 'big toilet' apparently but after he weed, cried and had a small meltdown he is fine with the potty and went 3 times last night and this morning (with me - still does not want DH but we will work on that this weekend).

Undies on. We will see how we go!

I was terrified I traumatised him but looks like he needed that little push and once it was done is mostly ok (he is anxious about all 'new things'). I do not recommend doing it this way for everyone.