+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Last minute meals?

I know there are some general meal ideas threads but my main issue is the days we get home from after school activities at 6/6.30 and have to start dinner. Occurs to me with so many families with both parents working this must be a common issue?? We have pasta one night and beans on toast the other! Or in summer might pick up cooked chicken and have with salad. Next term I could have 3 nights like this so tipping over into the more nights than not if we include Friday night pizza!!
    Ideas? Anyone??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Slow cooker. Put it on on the morning - ready for dinner.

Prep everything during the day (and I have a 3yo that needs supervision or attention 24/7) but he helps me cut things up, measure things etc etc has done so since he could walk.

Cook a big batch. Either it lasts a few days or freeze for another time. Cook on the weekend and freeze.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Frittata or omelette (all you really need is some eggs and vegies)

Stir fry can be quick - leftover or frozen meat, vegies, rice or noddles. Keep a jar of paste (we often use red thai curry and a can of coconut milk) in the fridge.

Meat and vegies - we keep something frozen, not always healthy but really easy. Like chicken nuggets or dim sims etc.

Burritos - can make with wraps, salad ingredients, can of beans or meat, cheese, salsa etc

Pizza - frozen bases or even frozen wraps will work as a base. Add tomato paste, cheese and anything nice/leftover you have in your fridge. Very easy to personalise to different tastes too.

Eta. For weeks you know you're going to be busy, try to make a meal that will have leftovers for the next day.

Also microwave rissotto is fantastic! It can be vegetarian or with leftover meat (or frozen chicken breast), aborio rice, herbs & stock (we use powdered stock) and vegies. Put everything in a microwave safe dish with about 0.5-1 litre of water/stock and microwave covered for about 20 mins (stop every 5 mins and stir). Stir through cheese and butter to taste once cooked.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 01-06-2016 at 13:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was going to suggest Lebanese bread pizzas - very quick to throw together and quick to cook.

Other suggestions:

- Frozen fish fillets/oven chips/frozen veg
    - Batch cook bolognaise sauce on the weekend and have in the fridge ready to heat
    - Hamburgers (pre-prepared patties, grab some rolls). Oven chips as a side
    - Sausages & salad
    - Slow cooker meals - you can prep in the morning and it'll be ready when you get home
    - Toasted sandwiches

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Salmon tacos or wraps is my after footy training quick dinner !

By the time you heat your pan you can cut salmon filet into strips, squeeze lemon, olive oil and paprika over them then fry 1-2 mins each side, meanwhile shred lettuce, chop tomato, mash avocado and lemon juice and grate tasty cheese, warm wraps and it's done - ten minutes and then they just make their own wraps - you could do the same with prawns, steak strips or even chicken schnitzel

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do as much food prep as possible on Sunday, so everything is ready to throw onto the stove on weeknights.
    Otherwise, like PPs - we do omelettes packed with vegies, leftovers, make sauces/curries/casseroles on the weekends and freeze, healthy home made burgers (just have to cook the patties).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I meal plan now so the busy afternoons I would do tacos, spaghetti, pasta dish or grab some fish to quickly do at home and the nights I have more time I would do meals like lasagna, Shepherds pie stuff I can freeze and reheat on a night we get home late.
    Winter is also the time I bring out the slow cooker and put that on when ds has his nap to cook for the afternoon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Salmon tacos or wraps is my after footy training quick dinner !

By the time you heat your pan you can cut salmon filet into strips, squeeze lemon, olive oil and paprika over them then fry 1-2 mins each side, meanwhile shred lettuce, chop tomato, mash avocado and lemon juice and grate tasty cheese, warm wraps and it's done - ten minutes and then they just make their own wraps - you could do the same with prawns, steak strips or even chicken schnitzel
    That would take me waaaay more than 10 mins to prep! Washing lettuce alone takes me 15 mins! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    That would take me waaaay more than 10 mins to prep! Washing lettuce alone takes me 15 mins! lol
    I jave a salad spinner. I pull it apart and wash/dry in there. Then either have leaves or shred etc. It does require pre-prep but at least that evening you will not have to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always find it quick to fry up a steak and make a salad while it's cooking. Alternatively, the slow cooker is great. You cold put a Mexican style beef mince on in the morning, have some wraps, sour cream & lettuce etc at home ready to go for a tasty dinner. Slow cooker soups are great in winter with a nice bit of buttery toast.