+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I planned to take 6 months off and everyone told me my priorities would change once she was born and I'd want to take the full 12 months off. Well 5 months in I was going insane, I was so bored and over it and pestering work to get back to me about what my part time arrangements would be. I was in my element when I got back to work 3 days per week. I ended up spending a few days a week at the shops, a few days with my parents (I know you don't have family nearby) some time trying to clean with a baby, and tones of time trying to get her to sleep lol.

I'm actually nervous about having another baby because I'll have to do the SAHM thing again! Though I won't put as much pressure on myself to make the baby sleep next time around so hopefully it will be more enjoyable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks for all the input ladies.

I wouldn't say I'm bored as in, sitting around with nothing to do type boredom. I actually barely sit down all day, I'm always DOING something. I guess I just find the repetitiveness quite tedious...I'm not mentally stimulated.

this morning has been ok..I opened a trading account for ds so that took up a couple of hours lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    like does anyone wish you could split the mat leave with your partner/hubby? was just thinking, after like the first 12 weeks, it'd be ideal if partner/hubby could work part time and do say, 2 days at home and I could work 2 days a week and do 3 days at home. would be so much easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS1 I was itching to go back to work around 6 months. This time round I never want to go back ever. Lol. It's early days though.

I don't know what's changed exactly. I loved pregnancy this time (hated it last time, both easy pregnancies). I am loving being a SAHM despite the difficulties. I think I just feel this is it, this time will go so fast and I have the rest of my life to focus on career so I will enjoy my days with my boys while I have them.

I don't get bored. I do go stir crazy at home but not from boredom. I think once DS2 has consistent long day sleeps I can get into home projects etc. I go to gym, mum & Bub yoga, walks down the beach etc. And I have a preschooler to drop off, pick up and entertain so never a dull moment.

I am hoping to extend my mat leave past 12 months to 18. If money was no object I wouldn't go back to work until kids much older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    like does anyone wish you could split the mat leave with your partner/hubby? was just thinking, after like the first 12 weeks, it'd be ideal if partner/hubby could work part time and do say, 2 days at home and I could work 2 days a week and do 3 days at home. would be so much easier!
    Only for the reason I would like him to see how hard I have it. So he understands why I get nothing done all day! But he couldn't deal with kids all day. No way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    With DS1 I was itching to go back to work around 6 months. This time round I never want to go back ever. Lol. It's early days though.

I don't know what's changed exactly. I loved pregnancy this time (hated it last time, both easy pregnancies). I am loving being a SAHM despite the difficulties. I think I just feel this is it, this time will go so fast and I have the rest of my life to focus on career so I will enjoy my days with my boys while I have them.

I don't get bored. I do go stir crazy at home but not from boredom. I think once DS2 has consistent long day sleeps I can get into home projects etc. I go to gym, mum & Bub yoga, walks down the beach etc. And I have a preschooler to drop off, pick up and entertain so never a dull moment.

I am hoping to extend my mat leave past 12 months to 18. If money was no object I wouldn't go back to work until kids much older.
    what sort of activities did you used to do with ds1, as I know you were down here and it would've been winter so too cold for outdoorsy type stuff. also, how did you cope without close family around you after ds1 was born?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Nope. Because I think he'd actually find it really easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes i would love it if DH could experience what I do. He is gone for 11hrs a day and goes away frequently for work. He has no idea what it's like to be solely responsible for DD from the minute she wakes up for the entire day. Plus try to get housework, shopping, cooking, work/study done around looking after DD! He thinks he knows but he doesn't lol. As she's still breastfed in the middle of the day even on weekends I can't spend a full day away from her but it'll come! I went to my office Sunday for a few hrs to catch up on work and when I got home I could see she adored spending one on one time with her dada for a change
    Unfortunately part time is not an option in DHs industry but it'd be great if he could work 4 days a week or take 3-6 months off to take over!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've always said that I would have loved to go back to work for the first year and then taken a year off for the second year! Toddlers are so much more fun than babies I found it boring and isolating, and with DD (second child) I had PND and still feel guilt over not enjoying my time with her.
    I found I didn't get along with other parents. I was quite a lot younger and poorer than the mums in my mothers group and didn't click with anyone. I kept sane by spending lots of time on BH, and I also arranged lots of lunch dates with friends who were working- I wold head into town and meet them near their offices.
    I spent a fair bit of time with MIL when DS was a baby, and by the time DD was born my mum was retired too so I spent lots of time with her.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really enjoyed the first 6-7 months of mat leave and then wanted to go back to work part time. I was unable to go back to work early so rode out a full year. The year is up today and my work have asked me to extend my mat leave as they have nothing for me to do 😩

I'm in the same boat of not knowing what to do all day! I mainly catch up with friends from mothers group but they are starting to go back to work and moving away - my network is shrinking. Of course I also do cleaning, shopping, cooking, etc. DF works away and I'm becoming increasingly lonely and in need of intellectual stimulation.

So slowly but surely going insane.😁