+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we do gymbaroo too but I'm not bothering enrolling in next term as its a bit repetitive and ds wiki still be in the non mobile platypus group.

I'm actually ok with the being at home part. even before ds, I'm someone who quite happily putters around at home and does chores or keeps busy with personal projects. I'm not someone who needs to be around people constantly or out of the house.

maybe I should go visit mil once a week or something to get out the house. or have her over here even. just for some company.

I'm thinking if I have a plan for each day then it's not so bad. it's just day after day of being at home that gets a bit wearing after a while.

is playgroup appropriate for such a small baby? I always thought it was for toddlers?

library rhyme time...sorry but yawn. we had a mothers group there once and it was really dull. I can do that at home with ds. or is it more the idea to leave the house? because a lot of days I just can't be bothered with it all lol

I did think about joining a local gym with a crèche. I'm not a fitness/gym person at all though...again, it'd just be to get out of the house really but then I know I'd probably find a lot of excuses to not bother and it would end up being a waste of money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm going back to work around September this year which is only 3 months away so I'm trying to be conscious to really enjoy this time while it lasts as I know I'll never get it back and a second stretch of mat leave will mean it's not just ds and I together on our own. it's just hard and quite lonely being home alone all the time. you feel like the world is continuing without your input.

I did think of some self paced study at home. there's nothing that I'm really interested in studying though. maybe interior decorating or something?

what I find hard is that there's no real decent stretches of me time. like I'll get 45 mins maybe if I'm lucky when ds is asleep but I usually catch up on chores then. and then when he's awake I like to give him my attention...so the whole day goes by and I don't get a whole lot done just for me. like why are you supposed to do with babies when they're not asleep or feeding? I feel guilty just leaving him on his play gym on his own? is it ok to just pop him down and read a book or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If you're happy at home then I wouldn't bother with things just to get you out of the house. I am someone who has to be out of the house every day so loved anything that meant I got out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really did enjoy it and didn't feel bored but I guess I had lots of friends to catch up with, and live somewhere where there is lots of free or organised stuff for kids and babies. I used to go to mums and bubs at the cinema once in awhile, I'd take him in the pram after a big feed and walk around the art gallery. I found at home I got into batch baking etc. Did mothers group and playgroup. Yup keeping up with the house and mundane chores could get boring but I got myself into a speed routine go get it done and out of the way.

You could look around for a playgroup? Study would be good, though it is hard when you only get small pockets of time.

If you're back to work soon then you'll def be busier then. Maybe find some things at home you enjoy because the time will go by fast and being a working Mumma can be hard work till you fine your groove.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took 12 months off with Dd but didn't get the opportunity to enjoy it. Dh injured himself and spent 7 months at home with us. He was immobile and I spent more time tending to him than Dd. He wasn't being paid so we had little money (living off PPL only) to go out and do the things I had planned like Kindergym and swimming lessons. This time, I'm going to go out and do those things in addition to going to Tafe two half days a week. As a 2yr old, Dd needs more stimulation than what I can offer at home after being used to FT Child Care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 11 months tomorrow and I haven't had an opportunity to be bored. I'd love to be bored actually.
    First 4-5 months she was high high needs hardly ever slept, reflux, screamed a lot. I was on edge and unhappy. Then things got better and I had about 2 months of happy non-mobile easy-ish baby. Now if she's awake she doesn't stop and she's into everything crawling standing etc I can't leave her for a second.
    We do gymbaroo on Wednesday, swimming Sunday. She goes to childcare Tuesday and Friday mornings so I can work. I went back to work 12 hours a week and also postgrad study when she was 7.5 months old and it's exhausting now. Every nap time at home now is spent with me either working or studying so I never get a break til she goes to bed. By then I'm physically and mentally exhausted. Throw in her being sick for two weeks and I'm so far behind its not funny. We have Monday and Thursday free so I use that for play dates, visiting my parents, appointments, shopping etc but during her awake times only as we need to be home for naps so I can work/study.
    Enjoy the boredom while it lasts. It won't last long! Sounds like you need company and getting out the house. So I'd rethink the gymbaroo, rhyme time etc as it is at least an opportunity for you and bub to get out and see different things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I planned to have 6 months off then ended up taking 4 years as I really enjoyed being a SAHM , I had lots of family and friends around so it was easier, mum would come over anytime to watch DS if I wanted to go out, I'd take DS out to meet DH or other family for lunch a few times a week , my SIL and good friend also had their first babies within a year of me so we all spent heaps of time together , we sort of made our own weekly play group! I didn't start him in little kickers or mainly music until DS was about 18 months old but I did go out every day since he was about 6 weeks old purely as I hated staying in all the time so as soon as I could drive after my c section I was out and about, I'm very organised so always planned my week in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! I felt like I was on holiday for a year. (Easy baby + easy parenting style - relaxed, "go with the flow", attachment parenting).
    I kept busy with mother's group, meets with my BH due-in-group, ABA meetings, babywearing meets. Plus general walks to the parks and shops and libraries, anywhere I wanted really, I'd just strap DS into a carrier and carry him around all day. Caught up on boooks/tv/video games while he napped.

That said, I was very glad to go back to work at around 12 months - once he was walking and basically becoming a little independent human, staying home is no longer a relaxing holiday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I'm going back to work around September this year which is only 3 months away so I'm trying to be conscious to really enjoy this time while it lasts as I know I'll never get it back and a second stretch of mat leave will mean it's not just ds and I together on our own. it's just hard and quite lonely being home alone all the time. you feel like the world is continuing without your input.

I did think of some self paced study at home. there's nothing that I'm really interested in studying though. maybe interior decorating or something?

what I find hard is that there's no real decent stretches of me time. like I'll get 45 mins maybe if I'm lucky when ds is asleep but I usually catch up on chores then. and then when he's awake I like to give him my attention...so the whole day goes by and I don't get a whole lot done just for me. like why are you supposed to do with babies when they're not asleep or feeding? I feel guilty just leaving him on his play gym on his own? is it ok to just pop him down and read a book or something?
    It's okay to let your baby explore his world without you...yes. Keep an eye on him...but playing independently is important, IMO. I can't say I ever read a book when they were awake, but I didn't play with them every waking moment either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    It's okay to let your baby explore his world without you...yes. Keep an eye on him...but playing independently is important, IMO. I can't say I ever read a book when they were awake, but I didn't play with them every waking moment either.
    As I'm busy with dd1 or chores I often plonk dd2 down on a playmat or in a swing and only come back if she's whining or unhappy.

With Dd1 I used to catch up on my TV shows sometimes. Or sit and read the paper. She didn't understand what was going on or that it wasn't age appropriate lol. Can't get away with that with a toddler/preschooler!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Full House  (01-06-2016)