+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default DS is becoming a little tubster!

Any ideas for some exercise to do with my 4 yr old?
    He's becoming a bit soft.
    I've cut back on treats to one choccy biccy after dinner (if he eats all his dinner) but it's exercise we fall short on.
    It's too hilly around here to push a pram (toddler with us) and he doesn't do much running around at playgrounds, will focus on the sandpit or a bit of climbing.

What do you do for exercise with kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 3. He is pretty tiny and petite - just one suggestion that maybe he is due for a growth spurt? I know DS has filles out a little bit I think he might have a growth spurt soon.

In regards to exercise - we have a loooooooot of hills here. He walks up/down them. He does go into the pram if tired but pretty much walks everywhere.

Plays a little ball with DH in the park. He climbs and runs around the playground. He has always moved so it is not something we had to teach him or anything. Will he do dancing/kids aerobics at home? Or do gymnastics or anything?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you pop on some music and do a bit of dancing around the house? My DS loves playing musical statues - so dances then freezes when I stop the music.

You could set up obstacle courses around the house - like jump from cushion to cushion, crawl through a tunnel of chairs, do 10 star jumps etc - make a race of it. Any movement is good movement.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he likes digging etc maybe do gardening?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sure where you live but there is a national kindy sport program called ready steady go. (Google it). It's aimed at 2-6 year olds and introduces them to a wide range of sports. My DS (4) loves it.

He is pretty active he also does swimming lessons weekly (and we have a pool at home in summer, swimming is honestly the best, completely wears them out!), and he rides his bike with me when I walk the dog/pram.

Does your DS have a bike of any sort? The balance/running bikes are a good start as it teaches them the correct way to lean and control the bike so they won't need training wheels (which teach them the wrong way to lean etc) and can easily transition to a regular pedal bike once they are ready. It took less than 24 hours for DS to swap from his balance bike to a regular bike when he had just turned 4, I was amazed.

If a bike isn't his thing, maybe a 3 wheel scooter. If you get out and walk/jog yourself I think that's the best way to encourage activity, have him trail along with a bike or scooter if possible.

Also 4 yr olds don't need much food. I am always shocked at how much my in-laws and parents put on his dinner plate (He will eat until he feels sick. Luckily he is pretty slim, but I don't want to encourage bad eating habits). As his preference is always for the meat/potatoes type foods I often given him a plate of vege a first and tell him if he finishes those he can then have his sausage. This way he eats more greens and less meat etc otherwise he is likely to just eat the meat and discard the veges (but complain he is hungry half hour later wanting yoghurt etc).
    Also snacks I offer carrot and celery sticks, boiled egg, raw cashews, cherry tomatoes etc. Biscuits etc are a rare treat and I avoid anything packaged.

I sound like a tough parent but it really works well for us.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-06-2016),witherwings  (17-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are all super active but one of my favourite things to do (it's generally done while I'm cooking dinner for convenience) is put YouTube on our telly and search for Just Dance. It brings up heaps of ones where people have just recorded the dance. The gameplay part is irrelevant at that young. They dance their little hearts away. So much so they know a lot of the dances by heart now. It's great. Some are very energetic dances...
    Perhaps I should join in hah

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is 3. He spends a large amount of his days on his balance bike going around the verandah and backyard. Playing on swings, trampoline and slippery dip.

We live on a farm so cant just go walk to places.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default DS is becoming a little tubster!

Definitely get him a bike, DS got his first balance bike at 18 months and was riding a real bike without training wheels by 3, we have a few great parks near us with bike tracks , we also went out every day, either to activities like little kickers or play dates or parks or even shopping centres ( DS never used a pram from about 2.5) so he was always used to being up and out - at 4 definitely look into little kickers, or DS started trampolining , swimming lessons and Auskick ( mini AFL) at 4

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    My DS is 3. He is pretty tiny and petite - just one suggestion that maybe he is due for a growth spurt? I know DS has filles out a little bit I think he might have a growth spurt soon.
    I'm hoping that's it.
    His appetite was through the roof last week as well but back to normal this week.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Could you pop on some music and do a bit of dancing around the house?
    Oh that takes me back!
    I used to do that for hours when I was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Not sure where you live but there is a national kindy sport program called ready steady go. (Google it). It's aimed at 2-6 year olds and introduces them to a wide range of sports. My DS (4) loves it.
    I googled that earlier, it looks great!
    I'll chat to DH about maybe signing him up for next term.
    Thanks

I got him outside for most of the day today before it rained.
    He might thank me for sweet treats now but when he's 16 and trying to squeeze into skinny jeans to pull the girls he'll curse me, so I need to get him active now.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was coming in to say it could be a growth spurt too. I noticed at that age that DS would chub up and then shoot up, rinse and repeat. That said, I do believe it's important for kids to get lots of fresh air and exercise! I would find a playground that only has 'active' equipment (ie no sandpit and ideally no swings!) and take him there often. I also think walking the hills would be really good for both of you! No need to go for long hikes, but try to walk instead of drive wherever possible. My kids are forced to walk a lot (at least 3k most days) and when I have other kids with us I really notice how fit my two are!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-06-2016)