+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermometer suggestions

Hi all,

What thermometer would you recommend for accurate BBT temping?

Doctor has said I need to be temping from next cycle (my first with clomid), so I started using our regular thermometer (a digital one that you point at your temple) this month to get into the habit. I'm finding it difficult to get a consistent reading. I've mastered the technique of taking my DD's temp with it but somehow in the groggy-ness of just waking up, I'm not satisfied that I'm getting reliable results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You need a proper basal body thermometer that goes to 2 decimal points. Your temperature change is so subtle that a regular thermometer won't do. You also need to take your temperature the second you wake up in the morning - before you have a drink, get out of bed, kiss your hubby, play on your phone etc, and you should try and take your temp at the same time each day. Also it needs to be checked either orally or vaginally as they are the most consistent methods. If you're a mouth breather it is recommended you check temp vaginally as it will be more stable. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Aloria  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So where do I get a BBT thermometer? I didn't realise there were special ones just for temping!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can buy them online or you should be able to buy them from the chemist. They're called ovulation thermometers or something similar on the packaging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!
    Got one at a chemist

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you get one that has a memory! First one I got didn't and I gave up charting because of it. I'm a shift worker and was setting my alarm at 5am everyday no matter what shift I was on so I had a consistent time on my chart...but because it had no memory I'd have to put the light on, read the temp and then record it. Then depending on what the temp was I couldn't get back to sleep because then I'd be thinking about it.

I've started charting again this cycle though because I found one that remembers the last temp you took....so I still wake at 5am, do my temp, turn it off and go back to sleep and look at it when I wake up later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMeSandy View Post
    Make sure you get one that has a memory! First one I got didn't and I gave up charting because of it. I'm a shift worker and was setting my alarm at 5am everyday no matter what shift I was on so I had a consistent time on my chart...but because it had no memory I'd have to put the light on, read the temp and then record it. Then depending on what the temp was I couldn't get back to sleep because then I'd be thinking about it.

I've started charting again this cycle though because I found one that remembers the last temp you took....so I still wake at 5am, do my temp, turn it off and go back to sleep and look at it when I wake up later
    I was always told to take it after 4hrs of consistent sleep, regardless of the time of day (yay shift work) and I think most of the recommendations I've seen out there say the same. Depends on your shift work though I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I was always told to take it after 4hrs of consistent sleep, regardless of the time of day (yay shift work) and I think most of the recommendations I've seen out there say the same. Depends on your shift work though I guess.
    Yeah I've read that too...I should clarify, I mean on my days off, or days that I don't have to be up until later for a late/afternoon shift, I still wake at 5am to do a temp rather than leave it till 7am when I wake up. If I'm on nights, I take the temp when I wake up from sleeping afterwards and just note on my chart that it's a different time of day

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter wakes during the night, so if I see that I've been sleeping for 4+ hours, I'm just taking my temp then. If she sleeps through, I'll take it when I wake up in the morning.