+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Exhaustes. I have bred the worst sleeper in the world.

My DD is 16 months. She's never been a great sleeper. ATM,she only wants to sleep on me,when I am sittinf upright. If I try to cosleep, she screams and hits me until I get up with her. She screams when I put her in her cot. The last few nights, she has screames until 2am, slept from 2-4 & awake from 4. So I am on 2 hours sleep a night and at my wits end. I have to drive my older one to school, a 30 minute drive down the 110km/hr expressway is dangerous on the amount of sleep I am getting. So now it's almost 3am. She is warm. She is well fed. She has had cuddles. She has screamed and hit me when I tried to help her sleep by cuddling her in my bed. I am so painfully exhausted. I've left her in her cot to cry. I think it's time to do some CC with her, I am just at my wots end and I am so so exhausted. I have a toddler and school child, so resting in the day is not an option. Not really sure what I'm asking for here - I am just desperate and need to vent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

That sounds ****ty for you

If you want to just vent, that's totally fine. If you want to brainstorm some ideas, questions to help do that are below.

Have medical issues been ruled out?
    How is solids intake? Enough carb/meat protein?
    How does bubs day go from waking, to include naps/meals to bedtime?
    How is bub put to sleep? Any sleep aids? Transferring of location post falling asleep?
    Does bub have a cloth/teddy head comforter?
    What is the temp in bubs room, is it consistent through the night and what clothes/bedding (clothes, blankets/doona) is bub in?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Massive massive hugs.

Vent if you need to, whinge complain whatever helps you. If you want help there are so many great mummas on the hub no matter what your parenting style - someone will have advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will add is she teething? Have you tried panadol/nurofen? The uprightness might maybe mean ears? I would take her to the dr to get checked over.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (01-06-2016),VicPark  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I will add is she teething? Have you tried panadol/nurofen? The uprightness might maybe mean ears? I would take her to the dr to get checked over.
    Yes I was going to say this about ears. Often not wanting to lay down has been the only symptom of my toddler's ear infections.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hemarao View Post
    Hmm i know it can be painful and tiring for a mum. I believe its more for a boy baby.
    Huh?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (01-06-2016),Mona424  (01-06-2016),Olive Oil  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to send you huge hugs. I was at the same point with DD at that age, everything just peaked and she literally would scream no matter what I did. At this point I realised a lot of the attachment parenting advice I had been given was failing us, and I went down the cc route. I went to a mother baby unit and had a weeks stay, which was the best thing I ever did. DD responded well and went from 2 x 20 minute naps per day and frequent overnight waking, to 2 x 1.5 hour naps and sleeping all night, most nights (and a much better temperament as well).

Don't let people tell you all they need is a cuddle, if your instincts tell you otherwise. Cuddling is great but if it isn't helping them sleep, then it's obviously counter-productive. Also you have other children and yourself to care for, so something definitely needs to change. Unless there are other health concerns (I'd definitely get her ears checked out too), I'd be inclined to let her cry/grizzle a bit. Have you heard about Dr Brian Symon yet? He has a book "your baby manual", it might be helpful?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (01-06-2016),nh2489  (01-06-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Big hugs @cheeeeesecake. In the short term is there someone else that can do the school run? Another parent or something? My DS went through a phase like this (actually a number of them) no matter what I tried. Good luck, and here if you'd like to chat x

15. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Yes I was going to say this about ears. Often not wanting to lay down has been the only symptom of my toddler's ear infections.
    Yes - this was one of the signs when my DS had an ear infection. The best thing is if it is an ear infection then once treated, sleep will be restored.

OP - I hope you get some rest soon. No sleep is the worst!

ETA: when well - my DS did not like my input when he was going to sleep - he wouldn't co-sleep and if I held, rocked, patted him, he was too stimulated. If I left him to his devices, he was asleep within minutes - yes - there was Grizzling but it wasn't distressed.

I can imagine how stressful it is, especially if your DD is being physical. Best wishes!
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 01-06-2016 at 08:17.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thanks so much everyone, I was at a bad place last night, so you have all made me feel so much better. She cried for about 20 mins & then dropped off to sleep. @hopefullyK I think it is EXACTLY this. She has gotten so used to me cuddling her to sleep in just the way she likes it, that she now wants it all night long, and every time she stirs. She was angry crying last night & hitting me, not upset per se. Thanks again everyone 💗💗

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (01-06-2016)