+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I want to clarify I do not think the parents should be charged with anything. Kids are unpredictable. But ultimately we are responsible for them so have some responsibility in any consequences.

I also hate that people send so much hate including death threats to the parents.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

ilex  (01-06-2016),Mod-Myztik  (01-06-2016),VicPark  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I want to clarify I do not think the parents should be charged with anything. Kids are unpredictable. But ultimately we are responsible for them so have some responsibility in any consequences.

I also hate that people send so much hate including death threats to the parents.
    I agree! The vitriol being spewed at the parents is OTT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    On the animals in captivity thing. I agree it's sad, I much prefer a set up like Dubbo where they are at least not in cages.

But.... the one bonus of zoos is they have captive breeding programs. Unfortunately in countries like Africa and India they are fighting a losing battle with poaching and even allow rich tourists to hunt endangered animals. While in a perfect world this would never happen, it does and without zoos we would already have way more extinct species than we do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post

So before we all start rounding on that “careless parent” who “let their child walk into a gorilla enclosure” and then said “accidents happen”, let’s remember a few things.

1) The best parents in the world can lose sight of their children for a split second.

2) Four year olds are quick, elusive, and clever.

3) Sometimes, accidents happen.

Which is why

4) A gorilla enclosure at a public zoo should be secure enough that a four year old can’t get into it.
    Agree that the enclosure at the zoo should be secure.

However I think people need to acknowledge that sometimes 'accidents' don't just happen, that parental involvement (or lack of) can be a key contributing factor. That not all parents whose kids suffer misfortune are the 'best parents in the world.'

*Sometimes* it's simply a case of a less that stellar parent doing a crappy job looking after their kid.

I don't know which scenario fits this current case - few people (accusers or defenders) would. I have guessed it's a point in between, closer to the 'accident' end of the scale. However I could be wrong, that's just a guess.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think the mother should feel fantastic about it. I know she carries a fairly weighty amount of responsibility for what happened. But world wide public humiliation AND watching your small child in the hands of a gorilla, are both pretty hefty punishments. I just don't think all the crap dished out at her by the public is warranted. Imagine how it must feel, making a mistake. Perhaps a mistake you have made a handful of times, turned out to have drastic consequences just one time. And instead of dealing with it in home, the whole world knew.
    I'll use my brief example from my earlier post. I have been in Target and had a message over the loud speaker that my son was at the security desk. That was utterly humiliating but it was a mistake (I was looking at clothes, he slipped through the rack and took off from the other side) that *could* have had bad consequences. It was luck or fate or chance or whatever you want to think, that it didn't. But it just as easily could have. So really, it's possible I am absolutely no better than this mother. Hers just turned out bad and mine didn't.

I have also been in public and had a child go to run on the road. A well meaning bystander tried to help catch my child but actually hindered me from doing so and we both missed. (My kid was okay, no cars etc). It happens. It's like when two people try to catch the same ball.

I don't discount that the mother might just be a bad one, that is frivolous with her care, but I prefer to err on the side of "mistake", just like I hoped those people in Target did with me.

I haven't read too much about the fencing, but I've seen a few different descriptions of it that are all contradictory so I won't comment on the fence itself.
    But I really do try not to rely on fences etc being 100% safe. Especially not low, spectator fences, as like I mentioned earlier, my child can climb pool fences. These supposed amazing and safe pool fences that are impenetrable by children. So yes, at a zoo I am extra vigilant, because I know my kid can hop fences too easily and I don't trust wild animals.
    Doesn't mean a mistake won't happen though. I'm not perfect and neither are my kids.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (01-06-2016),VicPark  (01-06-2016)