+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    First of all: Very sad the Gorilla is dead - however absolutely glad the kid is safe.

As for the rest:
    Bad luck?
    Freak accident?
    Negligent zoo?
    Negligent parenting?
    Accident?

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/0...cidents-happen

This one is causing a a lot of controversy on social media..

Attachment 81662
    Curious to know your thoughts Vicpark

Thanks
    Reviews
    The entire story makes me sad.

I hate that a primate was killed; in particular an endangered one. I feel bad for the parents. And truthfully, I hate zoo's.

It's all tragic.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Full House  (31-05-2016),TandR  (31-05-2016),Tinkers  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Agree. Sadly *everything* is the mother's fault
    I think she is copping the brunt because her voice is heard on the video.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    The entire story makes me sad.

I hate that a primate was killed; in particular an endangered one. I feel bad for the parents. And truthfully, I hate zoo's.

It's all tragic.
    I wonder if in the future, zoos will not continue as they are today. We have a wonderful zoo near us that is all about conservation, breeding programs, & animals in huge natural habitats. The thing is, you drive on a shuttle bus for 20 mins to see an animal in the far distance that, for all you know, could be a stuffed animal. It's not really enjoyable to visit unless you were really interested in consevation. But I do think it is a wonderful zoo in concept, and I wonder if the inner city zoos have a limited life span.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I wonder if in the future, zoos will not continue as they are today. We have a wonderful zoo near us that is all about conservation, breeding programs, & animals in huge natural habitats. The thing is, you drive on a shuttle bus for 20 mins to see an animal in the far distance that, for all you know, could be a stuffed animal. It's not really enjoyable to visit unless you were really interested in consevation. But I do think it is a wonderful zoo in concept, and I wonder if the inner city zoos have a limited life span.
    I truly hope so. Zoos are far from natural. Elephants, gorillas, lions etc in surburbia confined in tiny enclosures (compared to their natural habitat) is cruel. How many times have you been to a zoo and seen a tiger pacing...they are distressed, not putting on a show. I really hope that there is a massive shift. There has been far too many incidents which have resulted in animals dying. Eg a baby elephant died in melbourne zoo a few years ago as it got strangled by a tyre they had in its enclosure. At a zoo in Miami a baby giraffe died as its neck got caught in a fence. Zoos have even shot animals to make way for new ones. Shocking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I saw some nasty comments around the net myself.
    I just thought to write 'And if it was your child?' but I didn't bother. A$$holes aren't good for the blood pressure.
    I know if it was my child I'd be a useless, vomiting, mess.
    All I could see was my 4 yr old in the gorilla's arms and I'm 100% sure I'd want the keepers to do whatever it took to get him back to safety.
    Can you imagine the news today if both animal and child were dead.
    Horrible!

In saying that, I don't think the Gorilla looked like it was going to hurt him but he was certainly becoming agitated with the screams from the crowd and he could have very easily killed him accidentally.
    When I saw him being pulled through the water that's when my stomach flipped, thinking he could drown or just get a bad knock on the head and be killed.
    Best outcome would be for both to still be alive, worst would be both dead so, although it's a horrible end to a beautiful creature's life, it is the best outcome given what might have been.

I'm interested to see if the actual enclosure was poorly designed though.
    If there's fingers t be pointed it has to be with that?
    No matter how wilful a 4yr old is, it just shouldn't be possible for them to climb or fall in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a animal lover I am saddened by the death of a animal (particularly a endangered one) but as a mother of a boisterous toddler who is hard to keep in one place I do know how easy it is for something to happen in a split second. I don't have any opinion on the situation just a feeling of sadness. Although I would like to know why gorillas are kept in open enclosures? Does anyone know? I have been to a zoo where there is only a waist high barrier and moat separating the people from the gorillas and wondered then if it was enough and obviously it's not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally the fault of the zoo for not having the enclosure properly sealed off to the standards of keeping a 4 year old out!!! It's a commercial park with safety standards that is designed to attract thousands of tourists a year, it's not the wilderness somewhere. They totally did the right thing in killing the gorilla, I remember a story a few years back of a kid getting their arm torn off by a chimp when the child stood in front of a fence and the chimp reached through. (Actually that must have been a loooong time ago but I'm willing to bet the zoo changed their enclosure rather than telling parents to keep a better eye on their kids).

So SO sad the gorilla died, really tragic and such a beautiful animal that didn't deserve to die. But it could have been so much worse.
    Last edited by Bongley; 31-05-2016 at 14:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    freak accident, could happen to any of us. sad an animal had to die but the safety of a child is more important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's just a sad accident and fortunately the child is ok, I'm sure the mum feels horrible , I'm not a zoo fan so don't think wild animals should be caged to start with , but they didn't really have a choice but to kill it to protect the child