+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    It could be that the keepers were waiting for an opportunity to enter, so they didn't agitate the gorilla and put the boy in further danger...
    I've read comments that the tranquilisers can take several minutes to kick in and the gorilla could lash out in the meantime.

I suppose it's one of those 'in hindsight' situations and they did what they thought best in the moment.
    The keepers were in the enclosure...the female gorillas responded to the commands to leave the enclosure, but this gorilla didn't (assuming he is the leader of the family). I don't know because I wasn't there, but I definitely wonder if there could have been a different outcome. He had ten minutes to kill the boy and didn't...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I read this earlier from an eye witness.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world...ds-mum-8083156

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (31-05-2016),~Marigold~  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So sad. Animals like this should not be in zoos period. It is incredibly cruel and makes me feel sick. Glad the boy is ok but an endangered animal has died who should not of been locked up to begin with.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

TandR  (31-05-2016),VicPark  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's just a terrible freak accident imo It seems that the gorilla wasn't trying to hurt the child but it would only take a split second to kill, so I understand why the zoo did what they did.

The parents - it was a lapse in supervision, but hands up whose child has bolted on them? *raises hand*.

I don't think anyone is to blame per say. Just a very sad event.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

kim85  (31-05-2016),Ngaiz  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel so sorry for the poor mother. People are acting as if she is the first person to ever lose sight of their child in a public place. Would people say the same things about William Tyrells mother? She took her eyes off of him for a few seconds, too. Is she a negligent mother?
    I am lucky enough that I have never lost sight of any of my kids in a public place. I have clingy kids that won't let me lose them. But I wiuld NEVER presume to say that it is impssible for this to happen to me. It only takes a second for an adventurous child to escape.
    And BTW.... what of the father? Why is the mother copping all the blame on social media?!

At the end of the day, the zoo staff needed to act quickly. 10 minutes to have it shot seems like a pretty quick time frame to me? It is sad that an animal has lost it's life, but it is an animal, not a person.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Kid falls in Gorilla enclosure

I don't blame the parents. I am saddened that in the space of a week(?) two animals have died purely because of humans. Clearly the child didn't know what would happen so can't blame him either.
    The enclosure definitely needs looking into. In saying that though, Perth Zoo orang-utan enclosures are open and anyone could easily climb in and yet no one has.. We go near there and I hold onto my children. I take an extra person with me so there are enough hands and eyes. To me that is just common sense. Don't get me wrong, I've lost my kids in shopping centres and what not but there are just certain places that you up the ante aren't there? Be more vigilant kinda thing

I dunno how to feel about it all really.
    I get they were worried if they tranquillised him he may panic before it took effect and hurt the child but shooting him with the child so close could have also resulted in him falling on the boy.. 200kgs on top of a 4yr old wouldn't end nicely I'm sure.

I watched the footage last night and it looked like he was just trying to get the boy away from the scary screaming people. News reports crap on that he beat the kid for 10minutes. ****es me off.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Such a tragic story all around, how life can possibly change in the blink of an eye.

The only animal judging I'm doing at the moment, is the lady who swam in the evening in croc infested waters, that to me is reckless.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a horribly heart breaking situation, the zoo keepers must be devastated. It's very sad he had to be killed. I work in the endangered species field and I was very sad to see this story.

It didn't look like he was trying to hurt the boy but from the footage, he easily could have whacked the child's head on that concrete wall and killed him.

As for judging the mother, hard to do unless you saw it all happening. My kid is a houdini bolter, he's just turned 3 and his carers at daycare have said they haven't seen such a proficient climber/escape artist in years and he is so, so fast. We never let him out of our sight and in public have to watch him like a hawk but if he got out of our grip and bolted, he might try and scale an enclosure. First thing we said when we saw it, was that could have been our kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    And BTW.... what of the father? Why is the mother copping all the blame on social media?!
    Agree. Sadly *everything* is the mother's fault

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know, this is why I'm glad I frequent Bubhub and not some other parenting forums. Peoples' responses are usually much more reasonable than elsewhere.

It's awful, but I think it's one of those situations where it just wasn't worth the risk. An adult male gorilla could very easily kill a 4 year old, intentionally or not. That's not a risk worth taking while you wait for tranquilizers to take effect.

As for blaming the mother...honestly...who expects a 4 year old to be able to get into a gorilla's enclosure? We all know that it's impossible to keep your eyes on your child every second, especially when you have other children to take care of. I would feel perfectly safe taking my eyes off of my 3 year old at the zoo because, strangely enough, I expect that the enclosures are secure enough that my kid can't get in. Until this incident it would never, ever, have crossed my mind that I might then look up to find my child inside the enclosure - especially with such a potentially dangerous animal.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (31-05-2016),BettyW  (31-05-2016),cheeeeesecake  (31-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (31-05-2016)