+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a combination of negligence by the zoo (having enclosures that are accessible by visitors) and yes, I'm sorry, but the parents have lapsed with supervision.

I don't believe they deserve to be flamed, but they have let their boy out of their sight long enough for him to climb out of his stroller and into the enclosure. There was also a quote in the article about the boy saying he wanted to get into the enclosure - if my son said that (which he probably would - he has ASD and very little sense of danger), I would be holding onto him within a safe distance to ensure he didn't follow through with his dangerous plan.

I feel super sad that the gorilla had to die, however I think the zoo had to make that call unfortunately. I'm glad they were able to rescue the little boy.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (31-05-2016),Mod-Zeddie  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the fact the police are looking in to the parents for child negligence suggests there was more than a second that his parent's weren't watching him...or mother. There has been no mention of the dad, but on the video footage it's only the mother you hear talking so perhaps she was at the zoo with her kids on her own.
    Wasn't there several minutes before zoo keepers did anything at all? I think that's what bothers me if it's true. They had no handle on the situation. They needed the crowd to stop screaming so that the gorilla wouldn't freak out...and they needed a zoo keeper in that enclosure prompt. When you compare footage from the incident in the 80's where the boy fell in to the enclosure, no gorilla was even tranquilised, even though he was with the boy...because they shut t the crowd up and the zoo keepers were in that enclosure promptly.
    I think this could have had such a different outcome if the whole situation was handled differently. There should have been routine inspections on fences, and routine training drills on what to do in a scenario like this...because it has happened more than once. Gorillas are not aggressive by nature. Only when they feel threatened. At one point i the footage the gorilla stands this boy up in the moat, and then the screams start again and he whisks the boy away. I wasn't there, so it's difficult to assess properly...but I think there were lots of errors in judgement made and it's ended in a tragic loss thst could possibly have been avoided.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (31-05-2016),Mod-Myztik  (31-05-2016),Mod-Zeddie  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    It's a combination of negligence by the zoo (having enclosures that are accessible by visitors) and yes, I'm sorry, but the parents have lapsed with supervision.

I don't believe they deserve to be flamed, but they have let their boy out of their sight long enough for him to climb out of his stroller and into the enclosure. There was also a quote in the article about the boy saying he wanted to get into the enclosure - if my son said that (which he probably would - he has ASD and very little sense of danger), I would be holding onto him within a safe distance to ensure he didn't follow through with his dangerous plan.

I feel super sad that the gorilla had to die, however I think the zoo had to make that call unfortunately. I'm glad they were able to rescue the little boy.
    For me this is one of those hindsight is a wonderful thing scenarios.

And I also think supervising one child is about 100 times easier than 2 or more. I really can't judge the parents here as no one knows enough about it. My youngest does things daily which I'm quite sure I'm judged about.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (31-05-2016),BettyW  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know that kids are REALLY quick to get away so I don't feel angry towards the parents. I feel more angry at the zoo for having such poor security around the enclosure. The fact that a child was able to fall in is inexcusable. An unavoidable tragedy.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (31-05-2016),Full House  (31-05-2016),Ngaiz  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I think the fact the police are looking in to the parents for child negligence suggests there was more than a second that his parent's weren't watching him...or mother.
    Given the publicity that this has brought, I think it would be standard for the police to investigate, regardless of how long it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    And I also think supervising one child is about 100 times easier than 2 or more. I really can't judge the parents here as no one knows enough about it. My youngest does things daily which I'm quite sure I'm judged about.
    Valid point. I often wonder how I'd manage if I couldn't give DS my undivided attention and supervision. He's an only child for a reason

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    For me this is one of those hindsight is a wonderful thing scenarios.

Dd1 has never been a runner and I'm probably what you would call a helicopter parent, but I still managed to lose her when I let go of her hand to grab something off the rack in a store.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Given the publicity that this has brought, I think it would be standard for the police to investigate, regardless of how long it was.
    Fair point. And I've just read that no charges are being laid.
    I saw a 'how the events happened' thing about it and it was 10 minutes before anything happened, with zoo keepers inside the enclosure. If the zoo keepers had ten minutes to decide to shoot him, they could have decided 5 minutes earlier to tranquilise him. And they shot him when the boy was between his legs...imagine if he fell on the kid. I won't be surprised if furthet investigations reveal this could have been avoided.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I also question people hearing that he said he was going to climb into the enclosure. Sounds extremely convenient.

We were at Melbourne zoo years ago and a giant silver back had just had a vet check. He was in a room behind the enclosure and you could hear him howling as you walked up to it. When we got there you could look in and he was going insane. I asked one the the staff about it and she commented that he was upset about the procedure so they were letting him get it out of his system. I felt so bad for him as he was clearly angry but at the same time it was quite frightening. Knowing what they are capable of I'm not surprised they had to shoot him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Fair point. And I've just read that no charges are being laid.
    I saw a 'how the events happened' thing about it and it was 10 minutes before anything happened, with zoo keepers inside the enclosure. If the zoo keepers had ten minutes to decide to shoot him, they could have decided 5 minutes earlier to tranquilise him. And they shot him when the boy was between his legs...imagine if he fell on the kid. I won't be surprised if furthet investigations reveal this could have been avoided.
    It could be that the keepers were waiting for an opportunity to enter, so they didn't agitate the gorilla and put the boy in further danger...
    I've read comments that the tranquilisers can take several minutes to kick in and the gorilla could lash out in the meantime.

I suppose it's one of those 'in hindsight' situations and they did what they thought best in the moment.