+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Kid falls in Gorilla enclosure

First of all: Very sad the Gorilla is dead - however absolutely glad the kid is safe.

As for the rest:
    Bad luck?
    Freak accident?
    Negligent zoo?
    Negligent parenting?
    Accident?

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/0...cidents-happen

This one is causing a a lot of controversy on social media..

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1464651886.705206.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a sad story. DH & I were talking about this last night. I think it's half and half. The parents are responsible for their child's safety but as we all know, you just turn your back for a second and something happens. The zoo should also have proper fencing/secured enclosures to avoid potential accidents. I just feel awful for the poor gorilla.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AceOfBase For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From what I've read, the child was in a stroller, the mum took a photo and he took the opportunity to climb out, witnesses and the Dad tried to grab him, but he climbed in to a bush. Sounds like bad luck to me.

It takes a split second for a child to take off and I think people need to lay off the parent shaming for this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Argh this story is really annoying me on social media. The mother (not both parents) is coping a huge bashing! I feel so sorry for her. THIS is the exact reason why parenting is so hard. Impossibly hard! Hard enough to send many of us into terrible depression and anxiety. The pressure to be perfect at all times is impossible to meet! I want to write at that in capitals cos I'm feeling all crazy about it! I am one person. I have two children. At many many times of the day one or both of them is not under my direct control. Funnily enough I am going to the zoo today......

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (31-05-2016),BettyW  (31-05-2016),cheeeeesecake  (31-05-2016),Renn  (31-05-2016),Wise Enough  (31-05-2016),~Marigold~  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sad an animal died.

Did the zoo officials really have a choice? What if they tried destruction or sedation and it backfired.

Why aren't we questioning how the enclosure was so inadequate a 4yo could get in.

I don't have kids but if it was my 3yo nephew I would want everything done to get him out safely.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (31-05-2016),Renn  (31-05-2016),Wise Enough  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    From what I've read, the child was in a stroller, the mum took a photo and he took the opportunity to climb out, witnesses and the Dad tried to grab him, but he climbed in to a bush. Sounds like bad luck to me.

It takes a split second for a child to take off and I think people need to lay off the parent shaming for this one.
    I agree. I am the biggest advocate for animals and usually when a child is hurt and an animals involved I take the animals side.

But watching this that could have been my 4th child. She is a Houdini and creates endless stress for me when we're out. It broke my heart watching the footage.

No winners in this story. That family will carry the guilt for the rest of their lives.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Freak accident.
    I'm positive those parents will be very traumatised for many many years to come. When my DS was about 2 and half, we were walking hand in hand on a path beside a busy road when he suddenly let go and darted towards the road. He was blindly about to run straight into traffic and I managed to catch him at the last second. I still think of that, 15 years later, how close he came to possibly being hit by a car. I cannot imagine what that mother must be feeling right now, having come so close to losing her boy. It's heartbreaking.
    Like everyone, I'm sad for the gorilla but I think the zoo staff would have had to make an excruciating decision in a split second and I guess they just couldn't risk a tranquilizer failing. Can you imagine the outcome if that had have happened and the child was killed? Everyone would be saying they should have shot the gorilla to save the kid.
    It's a terrible incident and what's done is done, no point inciting hate or judgement over it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Horrible freak accident. Bit of a wake up call for the zoo perhaps to ensure the enclosures cannot be fallen into.

Sad the gorilla had to die but really what option did the zoo have? Gorillas are very strong & he did drag the boy through the water in part of the clip I saw. Tranquillisers don't always take immediate effect & might have irritated the gorilla before knocking him out. The risk of the boy being killed in the hands of a disoriented & potentially enraged wild animal for several minutes more until the sedative took effect...

I am really sick of all the hate on social media towards the zoo & parents by all the keyboard experts out there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read the social media responses towards this, but I think it's a freak accident. However, I also think the zoo is partly to blame. If they are going to house dangerous animals in captivity and invite people in to look at them (which is possibly a wider issue in itself!) I think they need to ensure their enclosures are fully secure and children can't get in so easily. I feel horrible for the gorilla, but I can see why the decision was made to kill it instead of risking tranquilisers.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (31-05-2016),Gentoo  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    Why aren't we questioning how the enclosure was so inadequate a 4yo could get in
    This. I only saw the short video which didn't look like the gorilla was being aggressive. BUT it was still dragging the kid through the water and could have hurt him without meaning to.

I think it's awful all round. But I don't think the zoo had any other choice. If they'd done anything differently and the child died, the public outcry would have been massive.

I admit, when I first heard about it, I did wonder "where were the parents" but reading above it doesn't sound like they should be taking any blame.

It should never have happened. But not because of the parents, because of a fence that clearly wasn't appropriate/inadequate.

So really, it's because of a fence that a beautiful animal was killed. And the zoo needs to take responsibility for that.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2016),mummymaybe  (31-05-2016),~Marigold~  (31-05-2016)