+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sudden painful feeding 12 weeks?!

Just today whenever I feed off my left breast it's excruciatingly painful. Like the latch is really wrong. Have been feeding DS2 for 12 weeks now no pain or issues. When I inspect the nipple it looks normal, no grazing/cracking or obvious damage. When the nipple comes out of his mouth it spears regular shape, his latch appears normal but hurts like crazy.

When he feeds off the right side it's normal and painless.

Is there anything that could be causing this sudden intense pain? It does feel a bit tender after feeding but I can't quite pinpoint where, almost like its inside then nipple?

There are no obvious blocked ducts or lumps etc so I don't think it's mastitis? However I should mention that he has been feeding less frequently last few days so there have been instances where my breasts have been slightly engorged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had this sort of thing a few months in and it was latch. It got really painful, even though there wasn't much evidence on the outside. I had twins and was probably a bit slack on getting them attached exactly right and when i started to really pay attention and make sure, it did settle down. Mine got quite intense pain for a while so perhaps check the latch and just make sure. With mine it was that i wasn't having them open mouths wide enough. Perhaps as they get older and stronger it causes more problems if it isn't right. Just an idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It could be thrush. Does your ds have white around his mouth? I didn't realise my dd had it until my nipples became really sore. Looked in her mouth and sure enough she had oral thrush which had gone into my nipple (or vice versa). My nipple was just a little bit red.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't see any white but will check again in the morning.

I don't think it's latch, it's so sudden and severe, I think I would have had some discomfort leading up to. I don't normally feel a thing. He has always been a very strong sucker.

I will call ABA tomorrow. It's my 'good boob' (being the one that makes the most milk, not that the other is by any means insufficient), I am worried it's got something to do with engorgement. He usually only takes one side and as he has spread his feeds out a lot these past few days I am in a bit of pain over night and have to get up and express off the excess to avoid mastitis etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Sudden painful feeding 12 weeks?!

Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    It could be thrush. Does your ds have white around his mouth? I didn't realise my dd had it until my nipples became really sore. Looked in her mouth and sure enough she had oral thrush which had gone into my nipple (or vice versa). My nipple was just a little bit red.
    thrush can produce a shooting pain inside the boob as the OP described. it may or may not present with the white inside bub's mouth, which can make it hard to spot.

you can try a cream like dactarin to
    try and fix it.

http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/dev.../8/b8.2.10.pdf
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 31-05-2016 at 03:03.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (31-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    thrush can produce a shooting pain inside the boob as the OP described. it may or may not present with the white inside bub's mouth, which can make it hard to spot.

you can try a cream like dactarin to
    try and fix it.

http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/dev.../8/b8.2.10.pdf
    Thanks. I might still get it checked by GP in case it's something else. Good to know it's easily treated.

I checked the ABA website and a few others (late night dr Google, lol), it does seem I most likely have an infected nipple of sorts, perhaps thrush as its most common. I think my nipple is slightly red on inspection this morning, it's definitely not attachment as far as I am concerned it comes out of his mouth perfectly shaped etc and changing positions/reattaching does nothing to help. His latch looks as perfect as its always been. He's got no problem getting the milk out, it's flowing nice and fast. But omg toe curling pain. Thankfully my other breast is still pain free. And double thankfully he isn't currently doing 2 hourly feeds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm some slight shooting pain now that u mention it. In between feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    def get it checked by the GP sunny. I would agree it's unlikely attachment issues of the other boob is pain free. definitely sounds like an infection or issue specific to the left boob. how annoying it's on your good boob too! my left is my good one too and the one I had blocked ducts in both times too! I hope this clears up for you ASAP! x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (31-05-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Could be thrush. Only sign I had was nipple pain and ds had nappy rash.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Could be thrush. Only sign I had was nipple pain and ds had nappy rash.
    Thank you I kind of hope that's it as its relatively easy to treat, off to GP shortly to get it checked out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (31-05-2016)